Idling very high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling very high

I have been trying to fix a hesitation issue with my car when all of a sudden now the car idles very high and i have no idea why. It seems like the hesitation issue has went away but what would cause this sudden burst in idling?

Also I the fan next to the radiator isn't working. Isn't this supposed to be running at all times or no? If so, How can i make this run again?

What have you done to fix the low idle?

The fan only runs when the engine is extremly warm....10-15 minutes or so idle should kick the fan on.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

hmmm

Well i was thinking it was a vacuum issue so i was checking the hoses and then all of a sudden its idling high. I will drive it tonight a little to see if it's going to hesitate on me and if the fan kicks on. This car is breaking my heart...

Comment

carbed or FI?? Clean out the IAC valve if it's fuel injected. Let it idle for the fan to kick on it's operated by a temp switch. The switch is on the right side on the head one wire plug in.....disconnect it it if you want it to run at all times.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Honestly, i do not believe i did anything to alter it from hesitating to now idle high. Also I warmed the car up for about 10 mins and just drove the car up a 9 story parking garage... no fan running... The car is an 89 manual. BTW where is this temp switch? Thanks brother.

Comment

location please. someone close may be able to assist you personaly
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by clintorino View Post
              Honestly, i do not believe i did anything to alter it from hesitating to now idle high. Also I warmed the car up for about 10 mins and just drove the car up a 9 story parking garage... no fan running... The car is an 89 manual. BTW where is this temp switch? Thanks brother.

The switch that turns the fan on is on the thermostat housing, next to the radiator hose connection. Pull the wire off and the fan should come on with the key "on".

I had a high idle on my '89. Somebody had switched the triple vacuum hose hookups on the driver's side of the air cleaner. It also had a hesitation. I switched them back and the high idle and hesitation went away. I have no idea what those hoses do, I just know the results I got. Maybe your vacuum leak is causing the high idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
                The switch that turns the fan on is on the thermostat housing, next to the radiator hose connection. Pull the wire off and the fan should come on with the key "on".

I had a high idle on my '89. Somebody had switched the triple vacuum hose hookups on the driver's side of the air cleaner. It also had a hesitation. I switched them back and the high idle and hesitation went away. I have no idea what those hoses do, I just know the results I got. Maybe your vacuum leak is causing the high idle.

Mike please be more specific in relation to the "triple vacuum hose." Where is this located exactly and how should the be positioned?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  location please. someone close may be able to assist you personaly
                  Miami Beach, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X