Transmission removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission removal

I've seen it mentioned here that if you pull both halfshafts out of the transmission at the same time, the gears will drop in the differential and then the differential will have to be dis-assembled to put the gears back.

So, what do you do when you pull the transmission out of the car? Can you shove wooden dowels in the transmission to hold the gears? What size?

Not ever heard of this and had mine out a dozen times. Well maybe 4-5 times but never an issue. I had a clip on the end of the axle stick and i had to take one out to drive the other one out from the other side. No gears fell. Hope this helps. I have a stock festy trans. too for reference
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I dropped my tranny for the first time last year.Replaced clutch.Not one problem.Also,the write-up on here was flawless.

Comment

I can happen, but more often then not its OK.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

So, I wasn't imagining things?

If I don't bang things around, I can pull the half shafts on both sides and the gears will probably stay in place?

Comment

^^Yes
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Just barely got finished changing my tranny and they guy I had help me has changed out several, he takes a coat hangar and bends it so it fits in the hole for the shafts putting a little pressure up and down and it holds everything in place until you are ready to put the shafts back in.

Cory
              90 Flamed Festiva L "Lil Runt" and 93 Blue Festiva L being rebuilt, 68 California Special Mustang, 05 Focus, 90 Jeep Wrangler, 2003 F250 Super Duty. Heavily invested in insurance companies. My photo album http://tinyurl.com/m9vnbe

Comment

Dang....I've never seen any word of caution in the factory manuals.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
                  Dang....I've never seen any word of caution in the factory manuals.

Well, I haven't either but I've seen it posted here. You know how it is when you see something on the internet. It has to be true......................

Comment

I did a compression test on my BP once out of the car and no axles were in. The car was in gear when i did the compression test.....the spider gears dropped.

I've had many of festiva trannys out for clutches/swaps...not one of them has fell out of place...ever.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

just pull one out and and stick a peice of PVC in if youre scared.

Comment

I've done half a dozen trans. swaps as well, NEVER had a problem in this way. Sometimes getting the axles OUT is a bear though.
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

I think I remember it being more of a problem when the tranny has been transported.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

From what I understand, the Festiva and other Mazda transaxles can both have this happen. Also, it only happens when both axles are removed and you really have to shake the trans around for it to happen. All you need is a piece of cardboard rolled up and stuck in one side of the axle hole. It's well worth the attention, compared to the additional work created if they do fall down. Cheap insurance against Murphy's Law!
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                            X