HLA probs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLA probs?

Does anyone know anything about the HLA's?

At first I tried using the Aspire rollers in my motor (with the Festy FI cam), I would have used the Aspire cam - but I need the lobe for the fuel pump (mine's an '88 carb'd). The Aspire rockers were very noisy (sounded like an industrial sewing machine or something). I let it run for a minute, thinking the HLA's would pump up, but it made no difference.
    At the time I needed to hurry up and get it running (it needed to be emissions tested to get tags), so I didn't wanna bother with any other HLAs, so I got a set of mechanical (adjustable) rockers off of another carb'd Festy. Which they do work, but the do make a little noise - sounds like a diesel at idle, you really can't hear it much when driving. I don't remember the old motor sounding like that...
    Then when I saw Roger's auctions for perf cams, he mentions you need to use hydraulic rockers off of an FI Festy w/ his cams. So that got me thinking, maybe the cam profiles are different between the mech and hyd cams? So I got a set of hyd rockers off of an FI Festy (I figured they would work - since that's what my cam is from). And after cleaning them up and re-assembling them with clean oil (I did the same with the Aspire rockers), I installed them. And they were noisy like the Asp rockers!
    So this makes me wonder (and since seeing Festyboy using Asp rollers on his motor, and not mentioning any probs). Is the problem that I am disassembling them to clean them? I was very careful when taking them apart, the last time I used compressed air to get the HLA on the FI Festy rockers. I was thinking by taking them apart that maybe I was damaging that thin red o-ring? Then I got a Ford shop man for a '92 the other day, and it mentions filling the rocker with oil before re-assembly - so maybe that's where I went wrong? I just coated them with oil so they would be pre-lubed upon start-up. I even cranked the motor this last time with the ignition off so the oil would pump up to the rockers.

So my question is, was my problem that I disassembled the HLAs, or that I didn't fill them with oil? I already got another set of Aspire roller rockers, and I haven't touched them yet - I was thinking of installing them as-is to try, or should I pull the HLA's out and fill them with oil first?

yes clean them then pump them up with oil
    the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Did you have the bar they're on oriented the right way?

I made that mistake once. =)

www.auto-rx.com quieted my HLA....until winter hit and then they got loud. I finally broke down and spent the $80 on new ones.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Where did ya get the new HLA's for $80? I think I'm just gonna get some new ones and swap in the Aspire cam and roller rockers after I finish my FI swap (since I won't need the fuel pump lobe anymore).

I haven't looked around for HLAs yet, but I just figured I'd rather get some that have already proved to be reputable than getting some cheapo things from the local store that aren't goin to work worth a damn or work for very long...

Comment

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
          X