really bad idle, terrible to be exact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really bad idle, terrible to be exact

ok so heres the story, bought the car from a member here on the board and trailered it home. It sat for the last month or two with the engine pulled and now i decided to daily drive it. here is the problem, I changed the plugs, wire, air filter today and re-installed the eninge. it fired up on the second try but then when i took my foot of the gas the car started to drop idle quickly. I gave it gas thinking the lines might need to be purged (drained the tank and put fuel stabilizer in it for the storage purposes), it revs fines with no hesitation but when i let off the gas it started to drop again. so this time i let it go down to see if the idle was just set low on it. The car started shaking terribly as the idle dropped, so bad my dog finally got out of it. I thought maybe i had the plug wires wrong but i believe they are correct.

I have searched the board and i havent seen anything quite like this. some stuff was similar, but not the same.

the only thing i notice that looks odd to me ( cant find my repair manual) the intake looks like there is a vacuum hose missing. there is one nipple on the side that doesnt have anything running to it. it is a smaller nipple all the way in the back by the firewall.

the car is a 89 fuel injected

p.s. its gettig spark and gas obviously, dont think its the timing b/c wouldnt it stumble all the time

Maybe someone has messed with the disty position. Try adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body assembly. I had to on the last on i bought. After some wrenching mine now idles nice at 750 rpm.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

do you happen to know what that screw should be set at? ex: if i screw it all the way down it should be __ turns back out?

with the distributor positioning wouldnt it make it run bad all the time not just when im off the gas.

i should have maybe clarified a little, when its dropping and shaking its not sudden, its very slow and consistentas it slowly drops the rpms all the way down to a stall.

Comment

turning it clockwise tightening it should lessen your RPMS....counter clockwise should open it. Allowing more air to enter for idle.....change your fuel filter also.

Don't get a direct fit from the store because they are 32.99. Get a generic replacement that is metal for 4-5 bucks...

Comment

Originally posted by needaturtlebeater View Post
          do you happen to know what that screw should be set at? ex: if i screw it all the way down it should be __ turns back out?

If I remember correctly its about one turn out but dont bank on it.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

first you have to make sure that all vacuum sources are plugged or connected

second, check the distributor vacuum retard and advance(as long as it is an 1989 injected LX)

also want to check the ignition timing with the vacuum advance blocked

I am the original

Comment

thanks for the input ill ceck all that stuff tonight or tommorrow night and let you guys know if that did the trick

Comment

sorry to bring up and old topic but i hate it when people dont actually say how they fixed it. combination of three different things, battery fuel filter and (go ahead and flame me) 2 and 3 wire switched around on the dizzy.

thanks for the input

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. Don't think anyone is going to flame you. We've all had our share of D'oh! moments in the garage.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

^^ true sooooo true
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I like to flip flop the fuel lines backwards all the time!

Comment

Working...
                      X