Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 festy help

ey
    love my new festy but........ i can pump the gas and it will start but it idles really fast 4x(adjust idle screw all the way down)......then i can give it a lil more gas and it will not idle at all.........new with thes engines any help would be great

Sounds like the idle screw is screwed too far in. Back out the idle screw a few turns and start it up. If it is better...you know what to do :-).
    Remember, if the engine is cold, it needs a a little fast idle to warm up. Once it is warmed up, then adjust the idle to your comfort.

Comment

location? someone in your area may be able to help.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Sounds like an idle screw being adjusted to far down. I would screw it to were it just touches the plate then 1 and 1/2 turns in. I believe this is where mine was set before the rebuild.
        "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

^ i wonder where that info came from
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I HAVE NO IDEA AT ALL.... LOL I'm changing out that carb on sunday btw
            "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

sorry what i meant was the idle screw is all the way out not even touching the throttle........but any how......found a vacum leak ....yeah idles pretty good......but wait when i turn on the head lights or anything electric on the car begins to idle really fast again...if i turn them off it idle good again please help

Comment

it's your load solenoid, it forces the idle up to 1100 rpm to compensate for electrical or physical loads on the engine. there's a solenoid pack on the firewall that activates this as it's a vac actuated solenoid. more likely what is happening is it's setting your warm idle step on your linkage due to light binding, lubricate heavily. Courtesy of Festyboy

Idle needs to be set after it's warmed up, with no electrical load. Assuming you've got a 4 speed, your idle should be set between 680-720 rpm, according to my Haynes.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                X