Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starts then Stalls if im not on the accelerator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starts then Stalls if im not on the accelerator?

Okay here's the rundown. 88' L 4spd tranny No mod's.
    Just rebuilt it and everything was running swimmingly till the lil accident.

Situation: I was coming through a light from a stop and this mad woman came barreling thru the red light so i dropped a gear and slammed on the gas. ( hard enought the tires spun) and then as soon as i let off the gas the car lost 95% power and then eventually stalled. Started it up and then it just sputterd out.

I have (literraly since i started writing this thread) talked to Geneva and FestYboy for a couple good hours and we have got it (possibly) linked to my carb. So much information learned in such a short time!. Appreciate every bit of it.

I have also figured out that festy carb's are quite the pain to troubleshoot.

Tommorow i am going to throw my other carb on that i know works and see what we get. Any other ideas would be very welcome. :dj:
    "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Originally posted by fastiva1988 View Post

Situation: I was coming through a light from a stop and this mad woman came barreling thru the red light so i dropped a gear and slammed on the gas. ( hard enought the tires spun) and then as soon as i let off the gas the car lost 95% power and then eventually stalled. Started it up and then it just sputterd out.

I have (literraly since i started writing this thread) talked to Geneva and FestYboy for a couple good hours and we have got it (possibly) linked to my carb. :dj:

What is the logic behind this diagnosis? Was there any impact?

You might have jerked a vacuum hose off if you jarred the engine.
    Last edited by Mike McKown; 07-20-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

x2 on vacuum hose
      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

that wouldn't affect his overall power. Keith, you forgot to tell me about the loss of power... what's the condition of your cat and EGR?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Catalytic converter was gutted then casing rewelded.. EGR i have no idea. How would i go about testing it?
          UPDATE: I have put the orginal carburetor back on the car. (known working) Still problematic. I had the car running and it sounded amazing for about 10 minutes around 1500 rpm. then went back out to it and it started it again. BUT NOW i can start it it idles up but when i press the gaspedal cuts out.
          "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

Comment

Okay, what yours is doing right now is how mine acted before I swapped cats. But you say yours is gutted so a clogged cat should not be an issue. Having swapped carbs says it's not in the carb, and probably not in the vacuum lines. Now a dumb question, does it have the same problem (idles okay but dies when you give it gas) with both carbs? There are directions in my Haynes for checking both the EGR valve, and whether the sensor for it is functioning properly. Do you have a Haynes?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Yes i do. and i will check that out. Yes it did it before i changed out the carbs.

Comment

Is it possible you slipped a tooth or two on the timing belt when you gunned it?
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

doubtfull given the conditions, it would have to move more than 2 teeth to act this badly (not that it;s impossible, just improbable)
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thats among one of my first guesses when it first happend. and i got on it. Not like haha funny funny spin the tires but like move or get superpwned

Comment

That thought crossed my mind as well. Anything on the EGR?

Comment

Nothing yet... havent got a chance to even read the book.

Comment

UREEEKA! Ithink i have not found the culprit but found what the culprit was... EGR Checked out and everything so it wasnt that... welll out of frustration i pump the gas and notice that it runs longer. out of desperation again i pump it and then hold it down... and to my amazment i see flames shooting out of my carb... i shut it off and pour an old coke i had down on the carb. looking down into the carb i see big black chunks of something i come to find out is rubber and carbon (im guessing. but either way this coming out of my fuel line has made my car run like it did just before the mishap. It comes to show you can fix a festiva by catching it on fire. (jk dont do it on purpose.

Comment

i did clean the carb before i ran it again just fyi.

Comment

So, you had a bunch of rubber? Like what the fuel lines are made of? Any idea where it came from? Either way, scary way to fix the problem, but it's running okay now?

Comment

Working...
                              X