Help, No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, No Power

Hello, New here. I have done some searching on my issue cant seem to find the right stuff, or were to look. I just bought 2 festiva's that have been sitting for two years for $150. 1 is carbed, 1 is injected. Both ran and drove when the farmer parked them. The injected one has power to the dash but nothing else happens, no lights, no seat belt, no horn, most important no start. Not even a click. I did notice that were the fuseable link is suppose to be, the 5 or 6 wires are twisted together. Is this ok? If it should still start like this, what else could be the problem?

Thanks, Eric

You don't want them all twisted together... Your best bet is the replace them with the plastic style ones from a mcparts (or steal them from a junk car, i got mine outta a probe)...
    pics taken from the forum, forgot who took them..

Replacing these are very important, as the old ones get corroded very easily, and can cause them to work intermittently, and usually fail after a car has sat for a while
    Last edited by knux511; 07-21-2009, 11:30 PM.
    -Tim
    93 Festy L- Little Red
    98 Ranger- The golf ball
    92 Accord- The $20 car (R.I.P)
    73 F-100 (looking for a 302)

"Wait... you mean they pay people to fix their cars? Idiots..."

Comment

the black box is gone tho, what do i do then?

Comment

hmm...Gone as in ripped out? thats no good, as that could create some dangerous situations, like fire and shorts. Do you have any spare junkyards that you could take them out of? Also, by the way, please update your location, there are many of us scattered about these states and our neighbor to the north (americas hat, as some say, lol).

I do know that there is a member on here, SMCAWC (i believe that's his name), he's parting out like 30 festies, give him a PM and ask for a price. I will try and get you which wires go together so that there are not just 6 lumbed into one
        -Tim
        93 Festy L- Little Red
        98 Ranger- The golf ball
        92 Accord- The $20 car (R.I.P)
        73 F-100 (looking for a 302)

"Wait... you mean they pay people to fix their cars? Idiots..."

Comment

So you think this is my problem? To me it still should do something right?

Comment

have you checked any of the fuses under the dash, that is probley why your dash lights/belts dont work, but i would replace your fuseable links first as it could cause a short in the electrical system

Comment

Those wires that are twisted together were likely done to bypass the fuse links for whatever reason. If they're just twisted and not soldered, they've probably corroded and aren't making continuity. A test light on either side of the bypass connection will tell you if that's the case.

Comment

Now from what i can tell, their is one main power wire wich feeds the other wires right? Oh, I found the lil black box as shown above. It was in the back with other extra parts, few radiators, lights, Alt. But i noticed one of the "prongs" is broken and missing. its the one furthes to the left, in the back. Can this be fixed?
                Last edited by eheine20; 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

so i clean cut the wires and tied them together with a big wire nut, still nothing. Anyone no what might be wrong? Also can the fuseable link be fixed?

Comment

how 'bout some pics of the carnage? i wouldn't be surprised if you had some melted harness somewhere in the engine bay or under the dash, and possibly a bad ECU.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Assuming you have the right wires tied together, have you ever determined if you have power on the splice?

Comment

Well both run. The carbed one runs like a champ even on the old gas. The Injected car Needs A fule Pump, but runs on starter fluid. My problem on both cars was the starters. The Thick wire going from the motor to the selenoid was broken. Can this be fixed? Luckly i had a spair starter from my racer Festiva. Not to bad of a deal, 2 Running festivas for $150
                        The pic is of the wire that is broken, Can it be fixed? (not my Starter in the pic)

Comment

it "can" be soldered, but i'd want to add some extra cable to that for safety.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                          X