Crankshaft pulley types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft pulley types

Ok, it's hot enough in here Boise, ID so I'm adding AC to my non-AC '90, EFI engine. I've ran into the crankshaft pulley mismatch problem. The goal is to have the stock, inner pulley (alternator to water pump to inner crankshaft), and add the outer pulley (compressor to tensioner to outer crankshaft). My original single crankshaft pulley is the "square-notch" type. The junk yard crankshaft and AC pulleys I've found have an alignment hole instead of the notch. I'm guessing the junkyard pulleys are from a '93 (the odd year)? I've also seen some photos here of a third, "egg"-shaped pulley.

Can someone write up a summary of crankshaft and AC pulley types and the years/engines they work with? Hopefully this will help people know what to look for when at the junk yard and save a few trips.

ithink the 93 has a different crank pully than the other years

Comment

OK, here goes as far as I know since noone else has responded yet.

Mazda B series engines started out with a small nosed crank. 88-89 B6s, 88-92 B3s, and I'm not sure what year B6Ts. After having issues with the crank key rounding out, they switched to a large nosed crank. 93 festivas, 90+ B6s, aspires, and BPs should all have the large nose crank.

So the 90 you have should have a small nosed crank, and you will need to find an AC pulley from a similar year car.

Hope thats what you were looking for!
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
      X