Wiper switch came off?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper switch came off?!?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? The little pin that holds my wiper switch came out, and the switch came out in my hand. It had always been loose since I got the blue car a few months ago. I took off the cover, fooled around with it for awhile, and finally just put in a cotter pin.

There is a spring in there that I believe was meant to hold in the pin. There is also a white nylon thing with a round tip that fits into the hollow shaft of the switch; not quite sure what that's for.

So after getting everything back together, I now have full functionality but the switch is floppy, like before. At least I know the cotter pin won't come out.

But what is the correct way to fix this, and why is my switch kinda flopping around? What's with the white nylon piece? Might there be something broken off deeper into the whole module?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

best to replace it with a second hand one, I think you have lost the little spring that gives the switch it's positive action.
    "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

Originally posted by sanjeet View Post
      best to replace it with a second hand one, I think you have lost the little spring that gives the switch it's positive action.
      There is still a little spring in there; I think it's there to hold the pin in place--the one that fell out. There is also a little white nylon piece in there, but I can't figure out what it's function is.

Maybe there's another spring involved, which I lost? I notice that the white nylon thing is smaller on one end, leading me to think there was a spring associated with it too.

It seems to me that the reason it flops around, even with the pin in, is that the plastic piece that gives it the positive action is worn. But maybe you're right, and that piece has a spring of its own. I'll look into it; I have two other Festys to check on this.
      Last edited by TominMO; 08-03-2009, 09:24 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom, never actually pulled that nylon piece out, but I am assuming there's a spring in there to hold tension on the little bulb that sticks out of the base of the wiper stalk. Does yours wobble front to back, or up and down?

In the end, I think Sanjeet is right, and you're going to end up replacing it.
        Last edited by batstiva; 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
          Tom, never actually pulled that nylon piece out, but I am assuming there's a spring in there to hold tension on the little bulb that sticks out of the base of the wiper stalk. Does yours wobble front to back, or up and down?

In the end, I think Sanjeet is right, and you're going to end up replacing it.
          There is a spring in there, but it's jammed all the way back, to the right of the pin hole. I'm thinking it should be to the left of the hole. I was unable to get it out.

It wobbles in every direction. Yeah, I'll probably end up replacing it. If only I knew of a place, west of Pennsylvania, where there were 25 or so to choose from. Hmmmm....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

^^ Good luck with that. Who in their right mind would end up with 25 or 30 Festivas? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              ^^ Good luck with that. Who in their right mind would end up with 25 or 30 Festivas? :lol:
              Some nut job; but at least those kinds of people tend to be harmless.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tried the closest McParts and Home Depot; no luck. I have a good assortment of both compression and extension springs I bought at Home Depot a while ago, but all of even the smallest compression springs were too large diameter to fit into the wiper stalk. Off to the JY for me (when it stops raining)!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I've got a couple spares. If the j/y doesn't yield any, I could send ya one.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
                    I've got a couple spares. If the j/y doesn't yield any, I could send ya one.
                    There are no Festys or Aspires in the JY I normally go to; they had some but crushed them. So I'll take one of yours please. It's an L model by the way. PM sent.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I assume its for the rear window wiper why not get a standard toggle switch from your electronic store and install it in in of the free slots on the dash (12volt 2 amp should do)
                      "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

No, actually I think he's talking about the wiper stalk on the steering column.

Comment

^^ Kee-rect.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Man, I've been right twice today on here. That's kind of a record for me.

Comment

^^ lol

Good thing I was right or I'd be sending the wrong part! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X