Hi rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi rpm

Just purchased a 91 festiva 1.3 engine efi.. On a cold startup engine starts at very high rpm ,,no tach. On car to read how high.after engine warms up idle drops to normal rpm..other tha tis problem car runs great and gets 46 mpg,,,,

Sounds like it is just your electric choke. Should be fine. How high is high? Is it sounding like the car is going to redline and blow up, or just gets alittle noisy?

Comment

Thanks for input on choke,,engine sounds like it is around 3000 rpm..plan on installing a tach soon..

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd View Post
        Sounds like it is just your electric choke. Should be fine. How high is high? Is it sounding like the car is going to redline and blow up, or just gets alittle noisy?
        electric choke on a 91 EFI festy???????
        how long have you been working on these cars???

should be around 1500-2000 rpm then drops to about 800 rpm
        this is normal warm up procedure on cold days for an fuel injection car
        the Idle Air Control motor is responsible for this and is located on the intake manifold behind the distributor
        Last edited by mechanicaldj; 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM.

I am the original

Comment

Thanks for info mechanicaldj,,,,,i'am sure the engine is above 2000 on start up,,but will install tach to be sure,,this is my first festiva and i love it,,i do some mechanic work on my own stuff from time to time...will check idle air control,,,can this be adjusted or need to replace? Thanks for help,,

Comment

Thank you DJ, my big mistake :-P

Comment

if this is your first Festy, it sounds like it's screaming, but trust me, it's not. i started with an 88L (no tach) and thought i was beating the crap out of it, then i put a tach cluster in and it turns out that i was shifting at 3000 rpm (sounded like it was going to die). i'm with DJ on this one, it's an audible illusion.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X