Has Anyone Tried This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Tried This?

A month ago I noticed my '90 Festiva L with 176,000 miles had begun to make a knocking noise every time I accelerated from a stop into a left turn. The more I accelerated the louder the knock.

I knew this would happen eventually, since the boots on the CV joints had long ago become shredded. Easy service in Southern California, on fairly clean, paved roads, with very little water and no salt allowed me to go like this for years.

When the knocking started I wondered if it was a matter of wear from lack of lubrication or just the lack of lubrication that was at fault. To answer that question I decided to spray some WD-40 into the right outside CV joint. After that the knocking stopped completely, no matter how hard I accelerated into the turn.

My plan is to buy a split "Quick Boot" at AutoZone and install it, with the supplied grease, over the dry CV joint. I would appreciate any tips on installing this boot and some idea of how long I can expect this fix to last in easy around-town travel?
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

It will last till you are in the middle of Nowhere, or the Heaviest traffic in your area. Fix it Right.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

If it's already worn (and if it's knocking, it is) grease will only postpone the inevitable. Do it for now, but save your pennies for parts to do it right. You're going to have to anyway.
      Last edited by JPT; 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
        A month ago I noticed my '90 Festiva L with 176,000 miles had begun to make a knocking noise every time I accelerated from a stop into a left turn. The more I accelerated the louder the knock.

I knew this would happen eventually, since the boots on the CV joints had long ago become shredded. Easy service in Southern California, on fairly clean, paved roads, with very little water and no salt allowed me to go like this for years.

When the knocking started I wondered if it was a matter of wear from lack of lubrication or just the lack of lubrication that was at fault. To answer that question I decided to spray some WD-40 into the right outside CV joint. After that the knocking stopped completely, no matter how hard I accelerated into the turn.

My plan is to buy a split "Quick Boot" at AutoZone and install it, with the supplied grease, over the dry CV joint. I would appreciate any tips on installing this boot and some idea of how long I can expect this fix to last in easy around-town travel?
        You should expect it to work only as long as it takes to get to a parts store and fix it right. Cool that it's working at all, but I wouldn't trust it any longer than I absolutely had to.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
          I would only use a split boot to cover the split in the real boot. I've even used larger Ziplock bags + duct tape to close boots that recently split, before too much dirt gets in there.

BTW you can get more life out of boots, and slow down or eliminate splitting, by squirting them with Armor-All every six months or so, as a preventive measure to keep them moist.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
          X