Oild in MAF tube & Distributor !??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oild in MAF tube & Distributor !??

I may own a bunch of festivas,but,I am no mechanic.I was told when I got the car it needed a distributor,but,never had a problem and the used one I bought is in the back.The car stalls every once-in-a-while.Today , I went out in the road where it had just stalled after my mom pulled out.She had driven it all day with no problems.She got home and tried to leave 20 mins later.it started,she backed out,put it in drive and it stalled(it has done this atleast 10 times and a couple on takeoff from a stop sign or light).Anyway.We have always waited and later it started.Well , today,I went out and pulled the distributor off and the pics below are what I found.I cleaned it all out and it started.I dunno what causes it ,but,I bet you all aren't going to give me good news.Also,the black air tube that goes to the MAF has oil residue in it too.
    The pics are of the 2 distributors.I put them on here,too,to make sure I got the right one.Numbers a a little different and the one has a "notch" out of it.Any help is appreciated.

I have a 92k engine to put in if the problem is major.Thanks .

Does it do the same thing with another distirbutor?
    I dont believe the oil in there is a problem because of the oring on the distributor. But I could be wrong.
    As far as the set of numbers next to the BP01, Id guess thats possibly the manufacture date.

It may be possible that the ignition module is going or gone bad. But you said it would start right up after it stalled which make me think that thats not it. Usually if its the module it will stall and then not start up until it(the module) has cooled off then eventually itll get bad enough that it wont start at all.

Have you cleaned out the inside of the cap real good and checked how worn it is? It and the rotor may need to be replaced. Basically just do a full tune up on it.
    Last edited by MONSOON; 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

MONSOON, you beat me to it. But I brought pictures. I think. If you pull the cap, what does it look like in there? Dry or is there oil inside the cap?

I believe you are going to find the problem is in the O-ring. If it's worn, loose, cracked, whatever, it will allow oil to be sucked out and into the cap area. Will cause rough idle, stalls, etc. If you know the disty is good, you can just buy the O-ring.

A little hard to tell from your pics how well those O-rings are holding up. But I'd definitely check it out. Atleast they're cheap. .99 at advance auto.
      Last edited by batstiva; 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Nice pics! :thumbleft: Heck an Oring cant be that much, Id just get one and replace it anyways.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

OK,I can do that .Now,what about the MAF tube ?? Why would oil be in there ?? Also,what would be the best way to clean out where the oil has already gotten in the dist area ? Does the "notch" out of the one disty and not the other mean anything ??
          Last edited by TONYCASH; 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Okay, I'm at a disadvantage here, because I've never messed with an FI Stiva. Where is the MAF tube in relation to the disty?

A pic would be great. My Haynes doesn't really have a good pic of the tube.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
              Nice pics! :thumbleft: Heck an Oring cant be that much, Id just get one and replace it anyways.
              Just checked Advanced...$1.09 in stock.I will get one tomorrow.Hope it helps.

Comment

Oil in the MAF tube can mean excessive blowby past the rings. Pull the hose off the valve cover/MAF tube and see if it blows out oil vapor while the engine is idling. If it does................................

Comment

if you have oil in/under your distro cap, you have an internal seal leak in your distro. the one Batstiva is showing is just to keep oil from running out of the head, it's not the one in charge of keeping oil out of your cap.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

yep my 91 had oil in the vaf meter and the motor was shot. when i go junk yarding that is one of the first things i check to see the condition of the motor.

Comment

Working...
                    X