Speedo Flutter & Coil Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Flutter & Coil Springs

Recently picked up my 2nd Festiva. The speedo needle flutters all the time at any speed. Anyone ran into this problem?

Cable or instrument cluster? 200K car.

Second question. Where can I find stock coils. Junk yard... yeah yeah, I know. They dont make em. But just curious if anyone has some laying around. Mine are broken and the struts are worn out as well.

Thanks for your time and input everyone!

lube your cable and it'll go away.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      lube your cable and it'll go away.
      Sweeet. Cool. The motor was swapped to a... ehh i dont know. A Festiva motor or some other Mazda motor. But I figured it was that simple. At least they swapped in the 5 speed!

Comment

first...welcome to the site....second, add your location it will help in the long run...may be someone close to you that can help or has parts.

the cable is probably in need of lubing. You can disconnect at the tranny....pull the cable out and clean then lube. Make sure you do not lose the little washer off the inner cable.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

lol...guess I was watching to much TV while I was typing my response.
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

About location ya mean? lol Yeah, I'm in the same state Pal! lol haha Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

lol...well I see that now....you didn't have it in there when I hit the response button. Was just down in your neck in the woods this past Saturday....checked out the new pull-a-part.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Yeah! I've heard great stuff about that place! I'm goin have to swing in there and see what kind of 1-ton drive train they have laying around.

See any Festiva struts?

Comment

yes....they have a Festy in there right now....minus a hood...visors...disty...2 tires/rims...the rear defrost switch...lol. But there is a radiator and fan already pulled sitting inside the car and the suspension was there when I left.
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!

Comment

HOLY COW! I need a radiator and fan too! The radiator starts to leak coolant around the seems when the pressure builds up.... probably bc my fan is TOAST. I'm going Thurs. right after work!

Comment

its actually a manual rad too. Fan spun freely.
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Cleaned the speedo cable, works great.

I also took care of a few other things. RF lower control arm, RF outer tie rod, replaced both struts and springs from a junk yard car

Sea Foamed the engine, drove 45 miles on the highway and then a fresh oil change. She drives like a dream.

Next all I gotta do is some fabrication on the front core support (motor cradle is being supported by the sway bar), support a rotted frame rail... if you can call it a frame rail lol, and add some support to the rear swing arm mounts... this will be challenging.

Comment

Working...
                          X