Cylinder Head Freeze Plugs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head Freeze Plugs???

I'm re-building a 1.3 FI engine and I am in the reassembly phase.

I was installing the Cylinder Block Freeze Plugs in the block and everything went well but then I read in the Haynes Manual that there are some in the Head.

I paid a machine shop to do all the work to the head so I don't know if they removed any of the plugs.

Does anyone know if there are Plugs in the head?

If so where?

Thanks

Here is some more info.

I went to a local Ford dealer to buy a set of freeze plugs, they didn't have them but the salesman gave and a parts list that had 12mm OD plugs listed for the cylinder head.

It did not list the number required, it just had AR for the quantity which means As Required.

Here is a picture of my head without the gasket, with the gasket and then with 6 red dots.

The 6 red dots represent 6 holes that are not present in the gasket and they are .450" in diameter or 11.43mm

I am pretty sure that I need to put freeze plugs in these holes but I am concerned that they may not be required.

If anyone has any info please post or email your phone number to bobadebt@ec.rr.com and I will give you a call

Thanks

Comment

A very sanitary looking head you have. I just looked at the head I have in the basement on a spare motor that someone gave me. It doesn't have any freeze plugs in any of those holes, nor does it appear that there ever were any there.

That said, this motor came from a car with 212K on the odometer, but it gives the appearance, from negligible cylinder ridge and overall cleanliness of things like water passages, piston tops that still show aluminum and not built-up carbon scale etc., that this may have been a rebuilt motor. If it is, and there were plugs there that weren't replaced, at least this suggests that they aren't crucial. The head had already been removed when I got the motor, so I don't have the gasket to compare with yours. What's curious, as you've doubtless noticed, is that all o these water jacket ports in the head have counterparts in the block, so I don't understand why the connections would be blocked off by the gasket. Maybe to direct water circulation/flow?

John

Comment

I thought freeze plugs were usually located on an outside surface area, so in the event it froze and forced the plug out it would be visible and replaceable...
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold
        '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

yeah i never knew there were some on the mating surface of the head wtf.
          Wil
          02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
          00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
          05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
          93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
          96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
          93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Mystery solved?

Hey BD,
            This may be the answer. In putting that head back on my motor in the basement, I had to put the rocker arm assembly back on too (removed in re. DarkDans ? of sometime back). The ends of the shafts are plugged with freeze plugs of about the diameter in question. 2 shafts x 2@ = 4 freeze plugs. Removing them to clean the scale & varnish out of the rocker arm shaft & then replacing is probably a good idea.

BTW, as Dan found out, the shafts can bolt back down either way, but to get oil to the rockers make sure that the oil hole in the center of the shaft mates to the supply hole from the center boss of the head (beside the center bolt).
            John

Comment

That makes sense.

Thanks

Comment

those holes in the gasket surface do not rquire plugs. the gasket will seal them. "freeze" plugs are to block external ports used to evacuate sand from casting and drilling of passages.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                X