Control arm to frame bolt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arm to frame bolt.

I was taking the control arms out and swaybar out in preparation for an aspire swap and jasonpaulbauers control arm bushings. The passenger side came out no problem. I went over to the drivers side, went to break it loose and now the bolt spins and if you look through the little hole in the frame you can see the nut spinning around in a little box inside the frame. I tried jamming a screwdriver in there then tried pounding a chisel in there but it still keeps spinning on me. How am I gonna get this out?

Once I get it out I guess I have to put a lock washer and a regular nut on.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Its a caged nut, if you can remove enough of the cage and get a socket onto the nut you should be OK after liberal use of PB Blaster and and impact wrench.
    If not, a reciprocating saw can be used to cut the control arm bolt on both side of the control arm then drive out the remaining nut/bolt.
    If not careful you will need to replace the control arm, which isn't a bad idea anyway depending how old they are!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I took a Dremel and cut a square out of the side so I could get a wrench or scewdriver, can't remember which tool, in there to finish the job. Probably best to weld a patch back on after the job is completed, but hey, I live the life of a Supermodel....on the edge!
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

lol...super model EXTRAordinaire!!
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Hmm I guess Ill cut it. Cuz I have brand new raybestos arms. I dont really wanna cut the frame rail up because I plan on running some higher power. Thanks for the help guys.
          91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
          00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
          88 gtx
          74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

We ran into a similar problem on ours.... had to enlarge the hole in the frame rail to get a wrench in there... Either way you'll likely have to as its impossible to tighten a new nut if not.
            Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

Working...
            X