Valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adjustment

Are the valves adjustable? Do they need adjustment after so many XXX,XXX miles? The engine runs great, and smooth, however sounds like the valves are a bit pingy to my ear.

If it is a carb festy then yes you can adjust them, if it is a FI then no.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
      If it is a carb festy then yes you can adjust them, if it is a FI then no.
      Carb. Anyone got the specs?

Comment

Nevermind, lol I just go buy a Haynes, haha unless someone has the specs right off hand

Comment

The owner's manual says to leave them alone unless they are noisy. I had low compression on #3, took off the valve cover, and saw soot on the underside of the cover. Some chemical cleaner took the carbon deposit off the exhaust valve. I then adjusted the valves although they were not noisy. It's covered in the Haynes manual.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by mturner2003 View Post
            Nevermind, lol I just go buy a Haynes, haha unless someone has the specs right off hand
            Assuming here that you mean the clearance specs??
            If so, Intake and Exhaust Valve clearances are 0.012 Inches or 0.30mm
            There is a decent write up in the Haynes about checking and adjusting, so if you don't have one, it would definitely be worth it to get one.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              Assuming here that you mean the clearance specs??
              If so, Intake and Exhaust Valve clearances are 0.012 Inches or 0.30mm
              There is a decent write up in the Haynes about checking and adjusting, so if you don't have one, it would definitely be worth it to get one.
              Yup. Right on, I'll go pick one up.

Comment

OR get the factory manual off eBay or the like (more spicific information)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X