Trunk Latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Latch

Is there any way to remove the trunk latch from the tailgate, when it is stuck shut, other than to break it? I already tried to unbolt it, but there is nowhere near enough room to lift the tailgate up enough to clear the hook on the car. I would just break it, but, well that's what i did last time, and I'm quickly running out of parts.

Is it stuck because it got rear-ended, or is it stuck because it's locked and you can't turn the key? If the latter, there's a little lever that you can reach from the inside that points toward the passenger-side taillight. If you can pull that toward you, you should then be able to open the hatch from the outside with just the usual handle - no key needed.

I'd been driving them for 10yrs before I noticed this feature, and then it saved me once when mine jammed on a baggage strap and wouldn't open with the key.

Comment

On my daily driver the latch was broken when I got it. It would not open.
      I took a thin 10 mm wrench and climbed in the back and loosened the 2 mounting bolts a little at a time. I was able to loosen them enough to get a cut off wheel in there and cut the heads off. Then pried it all apart and opened the hatch.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

My problem is the former. It was rear ended it seems at one time. I'll try the answer to the latter problem but if anyone has any other ideas let me know. I don't want to saw or break anything yet.

Originally posted by Pgh5spd
        Is it stuck because it got rear-ended, or is it stuck because it's locked and you can't turn the key? If the latter, there's a little lever that you can reach from the inside that points toward the passenger-side taillight. If you can pull that toward you, you should then be able to open the hatch from the outside with just the usual handle - no key needed.

I'd been driving them for 10yrs before I noticed this feature, and then it saved me once when mine jammed on a baggage strap and wouldn't open with the key.

Comment

Mine was stuck when I got the car. A big squirt of "Lock Ease" fixed it.

Comment

take it to a body shop and use a port-a-power to push out the rear body panel (can be dangerous is tried alone or without experience)

Comment

btw mattswabb your festiva is BEAAAAAAUtiful! How did you restore it so well? I notice you swapped a DOHC engine in. What is the size of it and what car was it from originally? I'd love to make the festiva I have look even remotely close to yours. I just don't have the tools. I can't even get the right front wheel off.

Comment

Fixed the trunk latch!

OK I got the trunk open, fixed the trunk latch so it wouldn't happen again and made it better than before. To start with as suggested here I used liquid wrench, then pulled that lever you mentioned forward as far is it can go. That's the lock lever operated by the key apparently. I took off the paneling and seeing some of the levers on the inside, I had an epiphany. The release mechanism wasn't being pushed down far enough. So I went back out and pushed the hatch down as much as I could, crossed my imaginary third hand's fingers and voila popped it open! I saw then that the latch flange on one side was bent, not allowing the lever to push it down far enough, so I bent it flat and bolted it all back up. I then loosened it to adjust it a little backwards and to the side so the door would sit tight and snug when closed. Voila no more problems, locks and unlocks opens and closes snug and tight not even a rattle. Just a little problem with the lever rubbing on the metal loop when it closes. I tried to bend the metal loop but it's pretty hard. I think it rubs because of the previous rear ender as the hatch looks a little higher on the left side than on the right. It closes pretty tight now and doesn't rattle like before. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X