Priming a Rebuilt Engine's Oil System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming a Rebuilt Engine's Oil System

I am rebuilding my 1.3 FI engine and a friend at work recommended that I prime the oil system before I start it up.

So I turned it upside down and removed the oil pick up tube from the pump.

Then I filled the void and turned the engine with a wrench until the oil pump sucked a little air.

I repeated this process until oil came out of the little holes in the top of the rocker arm assemblies.

I'm assuming the rocker arms would be the last place the oil would go before returning to the pan, am I correct?

If so does that mean that I got oil into all of the engine?

BTW, which way does the engine normally turn? I went clockwise.

I've heard of people priming the motor, but the couple motors I've rebuilt ('51 Packard straight-8 and '64 Falcon six) I've followed the advice to lube it during reassembly with oil containing molybdenum which supposedly tends to bind to iron surfaces. Then, before startup, if you want you can shoot some oil into the cylinders and spin it over before putting the plugs in.

Assuming you have a FI motor, I think the valve lash adjusters will make a racket for a short while no matter what you do, altho maybe spinning it over with no plugs first will prime them too.

As you face the vibration damper, it spins clockwise.

Good luck!
    John

Comment

Thanks

I'm dumb, what is a vibration damper?

Originally posted by Pgh5spd

As you face the vibration damper, it spins clockwise.

Good luck!
      John

Comment

Vibration damper = the crank pulley

Comment

you should prime the oil system before starting. The easiest way to do it? Disable fuel and ignition and crank the engine until oil comes out around the rockers. Re-enable fuel and ign and fire it up!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Jim, is this something I should do before starting my used engine? It's probably been sitting around for a few months and I've had it over a month. I did squirt some WD40 in the open top when I had the valve cover off, and I squirted some into the cylinders when I had the plugs out.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X