headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlights

I have water in my headlights that keep condensing on the lens and the reflectors that seem to dull the brightness of my lights. Does anyone know how to dry them out. Could I stick them in the oven for a little while?

Is it hard to remove the lens. I know there are no clips that hold them in. What kind of glue/silicone holds them in? If I get them apart is there a way I could redo the reflective material?

remove the headlights and take a real small drill bit and drill multple holes in the bottom of the headlight so the water can drain out.

Comment

If it is a festiva then the lights are glass and can't? be drilled. The aspires are plastic and can be drilled.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

no they're glass, what about if I drilled holes in the metal part of the bottom? or is that what you meant?

Comment

IF you're interested in replacing them I have a couple in the shed that I could sell.

Let me know.

Ian
          92 GL Sport
          Calgary
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

yeah, that is what i meant.. but when you drill, do it close to the glass.

Comment

we had like 3 days of hard rain recently (after a very dry summer).
              right afterwords my dad noticed one of my headlights was out... it had shattered! so we bought another one, and i didn't think much of it till i went to put the new one in. the headlight was full of watter! up to the hole that the bulb goes in... !?!
              i siphened (sp?) it all out used the hair drier in it for a while and its been fine since..

a little while back my right headlight got cracked from some gravel. watter got in and it was always getting 'foggy' even if i tried drying it out. i put some epox on the cracks, and it seems to have dried out on its own now..

but the festiva headlights still suck! im always afraid i'm gona hit a deer around here b/c if your going over 30 mph your overdriving your lights :roll:
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Hi Nate,

The standard 9004 bulbs have low wattage, I think it's 40W for the low beams and 60W for the highs. I'm running with 80W/100W with much better light and no electrical problems.

Make sure that with whatever bulbs you're using that your headlights are aimed correctly.... it makes a huge difference!

Cheers

Ian
                92 GL Sport
                Calgary
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

mine our messed up i think i have a short but i dont Know, one of my headlight is burned up real bad and when i hooked it up it started to smoke yet when i take it out the other one wont work do you have to have two in even if there burned out for it to work? i dont know but im going to get a new headlight and try to rewire them or something like that.
                  1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
                  2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

Comment

if you have water in your festy headlight assembly, try using alcohol to clean them. pour a little alcohol (isopropyl) into the assembly shake it up and pour it out and repeat several times. then let it air out for an hour til the alcohol evaporates.

check your sealing ring on the bulb assembly for leaks with the alcohol inside or you may want to put a bead of clear silicone along the edge where the glass and metal meet(no alcohol inside)

Comment

Working...
                    X