Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I intstall power steering on my 90 Festy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I intstall power steering on my 90 Festy?

Greetings. I just purchased a 90 Festiva. It does not have power steering. It steers like a tank. I need tires, also, and when asking about tires, and the steering problem, at WalMart, I was told that the steering box on Festy's with power steering is the same box as on the non-power-steering models. The only difference is that one has the power steering unit attached, one does not. Which explains why it steers so hard - it steers like a car that has power steering that's not working, like when you lose power or run out of gas in a power-steered car and try to steer without it. Anyway, with this in mind, is it possible to install a power steering unit on my non-power Festy? The guy at WalMart said there are two bolts on the existing steering box that, when removed, allow a place to hook up the two leads from the power steering unit. Of course I would have to mount the unit and get a bigger belt to drive it, etc. etc. Is all of this possible with a little effort, or should I simply build up my muscles? Also, about tires, I am choosing between WalMart's Xtra Trak 155/80R/12, Cientra (Festy stock size) 145/80R/12, or Kumho 155/80R/12. Besides the obvious size differences and the % ratio/speedo differences, are there preferences between these three brands and the performance with a 90 Festiva? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

You can install power steering on your Festiva.

Good luck finding the parts, though. It's an ultra rare option that only came on automatic '90 LXs IIRC.

Once you get used to steering the car it's not that hard, except when at a standstill.

As for tires, 155s are the de facto standard replacements. They throw the speedo off by about 3% and are much more common (and usually cheaper) than 145s.

I don't think the brand makes that big of a deal.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

When I bought my second Festiva, I couldn't believe how much harder it steered than my other one. The tires on the newer car were worn very badly and were wider than my other car. I put new tires on the car, and it steered just like my other one. So, try the new tires first. Typically these steer very easily without P/S.

They made very few Festivas with P/S, so you will be hard pressed to find a unit I think.

Comment

Thanks for your quick responses. I will do new tires first, then investigate the power steering, if needed. All the tires I listed are economical - WalMart's - $136, the other two I mentioned are both $125 (at Superior Tire Service); all include set of four - m&b, all warranty/service for life of tire. Now, I just have to decide.

Comment

you could get a new p/w steering rack from auto parts stores then get the other hardware from a aspire it should work but don't quote me on that if it doesn't you could always take it to a shop and have them custom fit it to work. but the pump and its tensioner will work with your engine since its the same and the tubing that goes to the p/w steering rack should be the same as the festivas i don't see why not.
          the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Power steering has its drawbacks, though. Because the pump is always connected to the engine (a parasitic load), you will lose some power and a few MPG.

Another thing about power steering is that after you're going about 5 mph power steering is unnecessary. I think it would've made sense to put a clutch on the power steering pump so you could cut it off when moving and save gas. But then again, there's probably a good reason why that's not (to my knowledge) in widespread use.

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I would get the 145's probably get better mileage and more traction in snow, etc. We have used wal-mart tires exclusively on our festivas and they work but could be better. They seem to lose traction or tread fairly quickly. Had a set of 145 Coopers on one of ours and they were a excellent tire. After a couple of weeks driving a festiva the steering won't bother you as much. Builds up arm muscles.. but the trick is to never turn the wheel until your moving. Could get a grease needle and put some good moly grease in the joints... might help out also
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I had a Chevette (~2100 pounds), an '81 Civic (~1950 pounds) and an '85 Civic (~2050 pounds), all with manual steering. Never needed it. Even at a creep, the steering gets easier than trying to steer when stopped.

My "general rule" cutoff point for power steering would be around 2200 pounds, or some kind of handicap.

Good advice here: The 155/80s are a little larger and should be fine replacements. If you have the factory alloys then see if you can get a deal on some 165/70-12s (they'll probably cost you at least $35 each--if you could get 'em for under $30 each go for it).

Besides new tires, be sure you are inflating them enough. I put in at least 30 psi in mine for best fuel economy and handling. More pressure will make steering easier as well. I wouldn't go over the max tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall--usually around 35 psi on cheap tires.

One of the first things I do when test driving a car is to check the tire pressures.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                  I had a Chevette (~2100 pounds), an '81 Civic (~1950 pounds) and an '85 Civic (~2050 pounds), all with manual steering. Never needed it. Even at a creep, the steering gets easier than trying to steer when stopped. Karl
                  I have a 1974 Ford 1/2 ton pickup with no power steering. That thing sucks to drive. You break a sweat when you steer that baby. It's great when there's a little snow on the road, makes it feel like someone put PS on it(sort of).

You should avoid turning the wheels while stopped in any car, whether or not it has PS. It's hard on the tie rod ends. When I'm driving I always make sure I'm moving before turning the wheel.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and info and suggestions. In reply to ericsmith, regarding the 145's getting better mileage and traction, I would have thought that the 155's would have better traction since there is more "rubber on the road", as the saying goes. STS has 145 and 155's in stock, both same price. I had decided on the 155's, but if there is a particular reason why I should get the 145's, I will. One thing I notice is that I have very little clearing below my front bumper - it grinds on tiny curbs. I currently have (bald) 155's, and I was concerned that if I went to a smaller tire, I wouldn't be able to drive over a two-inch pebble on the road. Any other pros/cons re: 145's vs. 155's out there?

Comment

Originally posted by SLW in Oregon
                      . One thing I notice is that I have very little clearing below my front bumper - it grinds on tiny curbs. I currently have (bald) 155's, and I was concerned that if I went to a smaller tire, I wouldn't be able to drive over a two-inch pebble on the road. Any other pros/cons re: 145's vs. 155's out there?
                      The difference in tire sidewall height between 145s and 155s is about 8 mm so it really won't do much to improve clearance.

I grind curbs all the time. As long as you aren't going 45 mph towards the curb the car should be OK. It sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                      X