Storage questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage questions?

So the insurance on the Festy was up about a month ago and we decided to wait a while until we re-insure it for the rain and snow.

I went out and started it up yesterday and it sounded horrible. I know after sitting for a while all the oil settles and it takes a little while for it to make it way back around, but I didn't think it would sound that bad.

I let it idle for a couple of minutes and took it for a slow spin around the block to get everything else moving. It felt pretty much normal when I shut it down.

So my question is, what is the safest, least damaging way to park the car for a few more months? When we first parked it I made sure all the fluids were topped up, the gas was topped up and the tires were fully inflated. Any other suggestions? Right now the car is sitting next to the house, not exactly a heated garage but not a muddy field either.

If the oil has not been changed recently, I would be sure to change it before storing it. May help on the next start up after a few months of storage.
    1960 willys pickup
    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
    1989 festiva
    1990 festiva for parts
    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by shawnw View Post
      I know after sitting for a while all the oil settles and it takes a little while for it to make it way back around, but I didn't think it would sound that bad.

I let it idle for a couple of minutes and took it for a slow spin around the block to get everything else moving. It felt pretty much normal when I shut it down.
      The oil should circulate within a few rounds of the starter. Unless the oil light stayed on, you should have good oil pressure. What you heard is probably the hyd lash adjusters clattering, which is a common Festiva (& Mazda) issue. They will lose their prime and collapse after sitting for a while, resulting in excessive valve lash. If you drive it every day or two then you usually don't have any problems. Mine will clatter for about 5 minutes every morning. The HLA's can be replaced in about 1-2 hours if your mechanically inclined.
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

or you could try 5W40 fully synthetic oil

I am the original

Comment

Run the engine every two weeks for a few minutes. The battery shouldn't run down much in cold weather. Don't bring it indoors as that will cause it to run down. I made that mistake one winter and had to get a new battery. If not running the engine then before restarting after sitting idle for months remove the spark plugs and spray a bit of light oil (eg WD-40) into the cylinders. Farmers will put a bit of diesel fuel into the cylinders of engines used seasonally. I've left my '89 in the garage all winter a couple of times.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Oh yeah, if the car has a block heater plug it in for an hour or more before starting the idle engine over the winter. Will reduce engine wear and prolong battery life.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Put some type of fuel stabilizer in the gas for sure.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

It shouldn't sit for more than another month and a half. I'll try and start it up and give it a drive around the block every couple of weeks, and if it sits longer than that I'll plug in the block heater for a while, which I completly fogot that I had until WmWatt's suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                X