Aspire transmission engagement problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire transmission engagement problems

Hello everyone! First post but I've been lurking for a couple weeks. I recently acquired a 1996 Aspire (2-door, 5-spd, No ABS) that has problems with the transmission. With the clutch in I can shift into every gear, however when the clutch is released in 1st or 5th gear it grinds like it is not fully engaging. Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to swap the transmission for one from a Festiva? I've found a few Festiva parts cars locally, but no Aspires.

Thanks,
    DavidG
    1996 Aspire
    Cheap, stock, and needing a transmission?

Different gear ratio's, can't remember if higher or lower. Have you changed the fluid lately? My festiva's had problems in 3rd but went away after I changed the fluid.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Thanks Eric. Yes, I did change the fluid. I also checked the linkage for excessive slop, at least the portion accessible under the car. Did your problem go away immediately afterward the fluid change or did it take some time?

Thanks for your time,
      David
      1996 Aspire

Comment

I would say the clutch isnt disengaging all the way but who knows. My Ranger is doing the same thing although it has a Hyrdo clutch in it. In first with the clutch to the floor I will not roll back on a hill. Try tightening up the cable a little that might help things out a bit.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Roboskittle, Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
          1996 Aspire

Comment

The problem did go away immediately. If I remember right to test the clutch, push half way down and rev up the engine to 1500-2000rpm, you should be able to shift freely without any grinding. You might have to let out the clutch some. I wonder if it has a new clutch in it.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I did not have time last night to try adjusting the clutch, but hopefully I can after work today. Would a Festiva tranny bolt in place if my Aspire transmission is wasted?
              1996 Aspire

Comment

Yes, I think the only bolt holes that are off will be a few on the bottom shroud. I can't remember exactly maybe some will chime in.
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

different front trans mount casting on the Festy trans. need to use the festy mount.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I tested the clutch travel and it appears to function normally. If I understand correctly, the Festiva trans should be a bolt-in for an Aspire provided I use the Festiva trans mount. I may take a look at a local yard that has a few Festivas and pull a transmission. Which other cars use the same transmission? I thought I found a post mentioning the Mazda 323 as having the same transmission.

Thanks a lot for your help guys and not immediately flaming the noob I've found this board to be really open.
                    1996 Aspire

Comment

Working...
                    X