Weird fuse issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird fuse issues

My 90 festiva has this weird fuse problem. When I shift from park to any other gear the fuse pops. (2nd one from the left on the bottom row) blue 15 in the there now instead of the red 10. Once the fuses blows my gas gauge, signals, and temp gauge don't work and if I put in back in park it's locked until I replace the fuse again. I've been leaving it in neutral most of the. Now my alternator has gone-for the third time. Was told my valve cover seal is gone and the oil leak is what's affecting my alternator.

Any opinions on the fuse issue?

Will it blow just by pressing the brake pedal, or by actually shifting? If it blows with the brake pedal, there may be something wrong with the brake switch. This would keep the trans. from getting the signal that the brake pedal is pressed, and will therefore not let it shift from park. I know there is a safety switch for the brake that locks the trans. until the brake pedal is pressed. Try checking that out, and let us know the results.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

So, if you leave it in neutral, start the car, and select drive or reverse, the fuse holds? Sound like you've either got a short or a bad trans/brake switch. I'm assuming the fuse does not blow if you are driving and hit the brake, correct?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

The fuse doesn't blow if I hit the brakes while driving. I have to shift it to get the fuse to pop. If I put a new fuse in while in drive it's okay as long as I don't have to shift to another gear, as soon as I do it pops-I can actually hear it and see the flash when it pops. Had the main fuse replaced but didn't seem to help.

Comment

fuse pops when shifting to 2nd gear from drive?, or when shifting from drive to reverse?

if it's the latter of the two, inspect your reverse lights/wiring.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My wonderful festiva doctor disconnected the backup lights and now the fuse doesn't blow!

Comment

Originally posted by rubyred View Post
              My wonderful festiva doctor disconnected the backup lights and now the fuse doesn't blow!
              Yay, now someone gets to trace the wires and find the short.
              At least you've got it narrowed down to a circuit. Check the bulb/housings themselves. May have water getting in there if the gasket around the taillights are dry-rotted.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
              X