no axles....roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no axles....roll?

If I have the engine/trans out can I roll my festiva around. Without looking at it I think I can, but just wondering. I figure I'd have to remove the axles... or they'd flop around.

don't attempt to roll the festy with no axles in the hubs. the axles and nuts hold the hub to gether. If you roll it around with no axles, the hubs can 'walk' out of the knuckle, making more work for you.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

should be fine to roll around (not to be towed)

and to anyone who has done bearings on a festiva or aspire , know it is a bitch to remove the hub even with a press!

Comment

I have to chime in and say I can speak from experience on this one...

When I pulled the motor and MTX out of my Festy - I pushed it out of the garage to clean the eng compartment, when I was done I pushed it back in.. It seemed like everything was okay - but when I was pushing it the last 2 ft it was harder than it was initially. At the time I didn't think much of it - then I pushed it back out again to move it a week later and the tires tilted in at the top (badly!). So you do need the axles in there to keep the bearings / hubs and such in line. What I did is I took the outer joints off of my axles and put them in there and tightened them with the nuts - I needed new outer CV boots anyway so that was okay. But I wound up having to do that in haste since I was not prepared for that to happen (the tires tilting in) - and I NEEDED to move the car...

So - you could probably get away moving it a few feet here and there. But not very far without putting the axles or outer joints in - and definitely no towing it without them in...

Comment

Here is what I did in order to be able to move the car around with no axles in place. Sorry the pictures are a little blurry, but you get the idea:

Kevin
          '93 L (BP{T} Sold
          '90 L Plus Sold
          '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Working...
          X