No pressure in clutch pedal after clutch install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No pressure in clutch pedal after clutch install

I hope this doesn't go as double posting, but the last title was terribly different.

My tranny failed. Putting a good one in. I installed a new clutch. Bolted the tranny up (with much difficulty). I have no resistance from the throw out bearing, as if it wasn't even put in. I've now pulled the tranny again to see if I could figure it out. I'm puzzled. Here's a couple pics.

I had the same problem. Turned out that I needed to adjust the clutch cable.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I've tried that. I adjusted the clutch cable back and forth.

Comment

Not much can go wrong from cable clutch setups...I'm baffled myself. maybe the pedal linkage broke!??
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I know, I know.... it's because it's not bolted onto the engine right now... haha
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I've got the same problem on my car after changing my tranny. I have no pressure on the clutch pedal but the clutch work just fine.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Check the cable inside the car up under the dash.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                Check the cable inside the car up under the dash.
                Don't listen to Greg, he doesn't know anything about cars. ;-)

BTW Greg, What do you think about a new Garrett GT1544 for the stock Aspire? Do you have a better recommendation? I'm thinking new everything to lessen the chance of major failure, although with rear turbo I guess it couldn't hurt the motor anyway (?)

EDIT: Oh wait, don't answer here, PM me. Don't intend to hijack the thread.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

is the disc installed backwards?

I am the original

Comment

^^^
                    Someone had mentioned that in another thread sometime ago!
                    Can you physically do that, isn't there some mechanism by which the manufacturer makes sure this can't happen.
                    Keyed or offset hardware?
                    Only because if not, a lot of wasted effort will be expended to re-install a clutch after the fact.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

everything is possible

I am the original

Comment

Ya, I read about the backwards clutch too. So, I made sure I didn't do that. I bolted the tranny back up and adjusted the cable again, and, I can now feel the clutch disengage! But...well, I guess I have yet to learn how much torque is too much. I broke a bolt in the tranny that mates it to the engine, although not being fully tightened yet...so I got frustrated and gave up for the day. That was Saturday. I didn't work on it today. Back at it tomorrow though. Now, to find out a way to solve this problem WITHOUT pulling the tranny yet again! haha...

Thanks for the responses though guys. It's a shame that all I've been on here for is looking for help with repairs. Hope it won't be too long before I've got internet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          ^^^
                          Someone had mentioned that in another thread sometime ago!
                          Can you physically do that, isn't there some mechanism by which the manufacturer makes sure this can't happen.
                          Keyed or offset hardware?
                          Only because if not, a lot of wasted effort will be expended to re-install a clutch after the fact.
                          The clutch can be installed backwards however it won't have the effects mentioned here.

I have seen them put in backwards twice, one time it got me a brand new clutch for free (the genius replaced the whole thing w/ a used one b/c he couldn't figure out what the problem was) and the second time it got me a car for really cheap.

thered - do you know what caused the problem the first time around? or did you just take it apart and put it back together w/o finding anything?
                          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Ya, I'm not sure what the problem was the first time around. I suppose I may not have adjusted the clutch cable properly the first time, but I did adjust it around a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X