No announcement yet.

Correct tyre pressures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with bharzard on this, it does make a big dif in MPG, ride could be generously regarded as "firm".
    Have not seen abnormal wear that was not a result of something else, like worn LCA/ball joints.
    You would expect to see wear in the center of the tire due to over inflation, but I haven't.
    NOT recommended but wonder how high you can go before you start to see center tread wear, poor braking, poor in wet handling, and general tire detonation.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ Ha Ha. Maybe here's your answer.
      A friend of mine, not known for his reasoning skills, had a tire on his van that had a slow leak. He'd put 32 psi into it, and it would leak down in about 2 hours. Soo, since he was looking at a 6 hour drive home from OTR, he reasoned that if he put 90 psi into the tire, it should take six hours to leak down, at which point he would be home.
      So, he overloads the tire, and off down the road he goes. Got five miles or so, hit a bump/seam in the road, and the tire proceeded to shred itself right in the middle of Elkins, WV. On Labor Day, as that's when OTR breaks up. Good luck finding a shop open. We ended up helping him out by going to Wally World, buying a tire, and doing a change right there on the edge of Rt. 219 (Not fun). But we got him going, and now every year, whether he needs them or not, he has the tires on his van changed BEFORE he heads to OTR.
      Over Inflation is not the answer.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
        ^^ Ha Ha. Maybe here's your answer.
        A friend of mine, not known for his reasoning skills, had a tire on his van that had a slow leak. He'd put 32 psi into it, and it would leak down in about 2 hours. Soo, since he was looking at a 6 hour drive home from OTR, he reasoned that if he put 90 psi into the tire, it should take six hours to leak down, at which point he would be home.
        So, he overloads the tire, and off down the road he goes. Got five miles or so, hit a bump/seam in the road, and the tire proceeded to shred itself right in the middle of Elkins, WV. On Labor Day, as that's when OTR breaks up. Good luck finding a shop open. We ended up helping him out by going to Wally World, buying a tire, and doing a change right there on the edge of Rt. 219 (Not fun). But we got him going, and now every year, whether he needs them or not, he has the tires on his van changed BEFORE he heads to OTR.
        Over Inflation is not the answer.
        Ok, I might have been wrong, but I am not an idiot... I may overinflate according to the vehicle manufacturer, but never the tire manufacturer... haha
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

He is lucky it didn't blow up in his face...
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I don't think raising tire pressure from say 35 to 38 psi or from 44 to 48 psi is the same as raising it from 32 to 90 psi!
            That just retarded.
            Agreed it is out of spec for the tire and you run a higher risk of failure and perhaps increased stopping distance, porer handleing, etc.
            But the point was, what MPG increase can you get for that risk, and is it justified given the risk?
            Additionally, what effect on wear do we see with the over inflation, again NOT RECOMMENDED.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              That just retarded.
              Agreed. As I said, this guy is not known for his high intellect. :tard:

I suspect you're right, moderate over inflation would lead to center of tread wear. But I'm thinking that's a theory better left untested.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Yeah but theres quite a few of those hypermileage guys that must run their tires overinflated to get the least rolling resistance possible.
                Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                - Unknown
                I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                  According to the sticker on my door jam, here's the specs.

For 145/12 (front and rear) 32 psi
                  For 165/70/R12s (front and rear) 29 psi

does anyone know what these numbers on the door jamb represent??

this is what KIA recommends for maximum fuel economy, ride and braking

when you go past these numbers by 10psi, you gain fuel economy, but you lose ride comfort and braking abilities very fast
                  as your tire foot print shrinks down from the circumference of a softball down to the size of a half dollar

so which do you want holding the road in the rain in a corner:
                  4 softballs or pocket change?

I am the original

Comment

Working...
                  X