Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock

Seems like when I turn the steering wheel a lot (ie around a corner) at slow speeds, I'll occasionally hear a knock/rap from the area of the front driver's side tire.

I doubt the CV axles are the cause, because I replaced them a year ago.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this noise?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Tie rods or ball joints.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

If you turn the wheel left and it pops....does your car pull left after that until it pops again? Same with right?

I have new tie rods and new ball joints/control arms and mine does it.

I also have new struts too.

My aspire has the 40mm FMS lowering springs.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Also check sway bar

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I have pretty much the same knock and mine is the control arm to body bushing. It clunks under braking and then acceleration. I'm just waiting for my GR-2's to come in. Going to start the brake swap hopefully this month.

89 L

Comment

Originally posted by 89fester
            I have pretty much the same knock and mine is the control arm to body bushing. It clunks under braking and then acceleration. I'm just waiting for my GR-2's to come in. Going to start the brake swap hopefully this month.

89 L
            You pretty much exactly described my symptoms!!

Is this something that needs immediate attention?

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Well, I just bought my Fest last month, and I don't use it everyday. It doesn't seem to harming the frame or anything else. For all I know the woman before me driving like this for a year or so. I plan on replacing all the front bushings, balljoints, etc. A new control arm can be purchased at most any auto parts store for around $55. But I hear the frame side bolts can be a problem in rustbelt states.

89 L

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I jacked the car up and took a hammer to knock the parts here and there when I was diagnosing the knock. My control arm very easily slid from front to back on the bushing. That's how I know where its coming from.

89 L

Originally posted by Tim
                Originally posted by 89fester

89 L
                You pretty much exactly described my symptoms!!

Is this something that needs immediate attention?

Regards,

Tim

Comment

My Festiva came from Ohio, and it has its share of rust, which fortunately isn't a lethal amount. But it does make me think twice before removing any bolts due to the pain and suffering involved.

I've driven the car in its current state, knocks and all, since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago.

I recently got it aligned with no trouble and steering, handling, and response is fine.

Since my brother is getting my Festiva in a few months, I'm tempted to let him worry about the problems... :wink:

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I haven't jacked the car up yet to confirm the source of the knock, but will asap.
                    White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

If you're going to replace the control arms, start the penetrating oil treatments on the control arm to body pivot bolts right now. Spray it up into the hole in the "frame rail" just behind the pivot arm. Tap on the head of the bolt afterwards, too.

The ones on my '93GL came out real nice, but it has minimal corrosion.

Two guys with a torch and an air wrench got the original ones out of my corroded '89L.

Good luck!

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I would recommend PB Blaster on any of those rusted bolts. The trick is do to spray it a couple days before the work and again a hour or two before. Haven't broken a bolt since I started using it. A impact gun does help, it's the god of inventions in my book.
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
                          Also check sway bar
                          What about it specifically?

PB Blaster rocks. I soaked mine about every other day for 2 weeks and my bolts backed right out. And this car has been in Iowa/MN for it's whole life.
                          www.dantheoilman.com
                          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Thanks for all the informative responses!

I have confirmed that the noise is coming from the control arm.

The knocks happen more frequently than I thought. I simply didn't notice them because I usually have the radio on or the windows down. Driving on a badly paved road made the control arm sound like a drunk woodpecker.

Regards,

Tim
                            White '89L auto - Sold!
                            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Stereo folks should take at least one day out of the week to turn off their tunes and become one with the car and nature!

Driving past a high curb or a concrete wall will help magnify undercar sounds for your troubleshooting pleasure as well. Remember to do both sides and keep your windows down.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X