Need headlight aiming specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need headlight aiming specs

I'm just about done cobbling together a nice aqua 91 as my daily driver (replacing an 88 that burns oil) for the long Alaska winter with 19-hour nights.

I need to align the stock headlights I installed. Does anybody have specs on how I should aim them?

I searched on "aim" and came up empty-handed.

I imagine I could position the car roughly perpendicular to a wall and sight from the middle stoplight and the inside rear view mirror attach point to mark the vehicle center on the wall. What distances to the sides and how far off the ground should I aim each light, and at what distance from the front of the car? I would think left and right would be different. Do I align for low or high beam settings?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

check this out....you can scroll the picture so you can see and read the procedure

"FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Great info... thanks for the link!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

That looks like what I need. Thanks.
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

You know you got it wrong when people keep flashing their high beams at you after dark.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

thats just jealousy that theirs are not as bright....thats when you hit your brights and then they stop.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

After I installed new springs in Erika the headlights shine to about 30ft in front of the car. The link is broken. Can someone help me with this re-aiming?
              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Use your garage door or the side of a building @ nite

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

After I installed new springs in Erika the headlights shine to about 30ft in front of the car. The link is broken. Can someone help me with this re-aiming?
                Chob,Ive done it ths way for years. Its just a little trial & error. Here is a simple way.
                Take a tape measure on level ground & measure from the ground to the center of the lense. Now take that dimension & make a mark on your wall or garage door. Park your car @ 15 ft from the door/wall. Adjust the beam so its very close to the mark. That will give your lights a straight level beam. Most people prefer to point them slightly down. It also keeps from blinding oncoming traffic. Then for the other setting you simply want the beam to be pointing slightly towards center. Always error to center on this one.You never want them pointing out at all. I just did this on my car by the way. Once you get them close you'll want to tweak them. I prefer doing this on my long flat country road when its misty/foggy out. You can really see the beam then.
                Its easy bro,go for it.
                edit: Dont apologize for bringing this thread back. It just shows us you actually tried to research the problem! Peace-
                Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The pro alignment methods using electronic or computer equipment are fundamentally
                  the same as above.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Awesome, I just wanted to make sure there were no special tricks. Thanks alot.
                    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I just go out in the street at night, park, and adjust where they are hitting the ground until they look about right to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X