Replacing Torque Converter Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Torque Converter Fluid

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to replace the fluid in my torque converter while I have it out?

The shop manual does not seem to say anything about this other than the amount of fluid should be about 1/2 quart.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

you would actually have to siphon the fluid out, since there is no drain plug.

but if you want to go through all of the trouble, your answer is YES! drain the sucker!!

the proper way to change your fluid on your automatic is by the way of a transmission fluid flush machine, changes the fluid and flushes out your torque converter and your cooler(s). can be expensive, but well worth it.

Comment

I'm in the process of reassembling the drive plate and torque convertor onto the B6. I used blue Loctite on the six drive plate bolts because it looked like it had them before. I cleaned them up a bit first.

Now about the torque convertor.

I took the tranny body off before I undid the torque convertor, so it stayed on the driveplate while I took off the tranny body.

There seem to be a few scratches on the inner hole to my torque convertor. It's the part you're supposed to measure with a caliper for max. diameter. Do I have to replace this or get it looked at due to the scratches/scarring? I may in fact stop for the day and take it in somewhere tomorrow.

Any advice?

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

ok Karl, a few things to help you out.

DO NOT attempt to install the trans with the converter bolted to the flexplate. The converter hub drives the fluid pump inside the trans, and it is near impossible to align them in that configuration.

Remove the converter from the flexplate, and slide it into the trans, rotating it as you attempt to seat it. You should feel it klunk as it seats and drops in completely. There's no way to do this when the converter is bolted to the flexplate. If you attempt to install the trans with the converter on the flexplate, you run the risk of damaging the pump inside the trans.

The groove should not worry you too much unless the edges are sharp or the groove looks rough. If it looks smooth, that's normal wear from a seal. If it worries you, take the converter, to a local machine shop, and ask them if the have a sleeve for a hub that size. Its a very thin metal sleeve that presses over the hub, eliminating the groove.

Otherwise, just replace the converter seal in the trans. It should be ok

As for the fluid in the converter, there's a very easy way to exchange it, with out expensive equipment. In fact, this is the way all manufacturers recomend converter fluid change during a rebuild.

Turn the converter upside down over a bucket and allow it to drain. When it stops, turn it right side up, fill it with clean fluid, agitate it, and drain it again. Do this until the fluid coming out looks fairly clean, usually 5 or 6 times. Thats it, then back to the top of the post.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

IMO, flush machines are usually bad.

The ones that use the transmission themselves to pump the fluid aren't too bad. Obviously, they're better then nothing.

However, the ones that back flush or power flush just aren't good.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
          X