Replacing Transaxle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Transaxle..

I got a deal on a 92 festiva, but the owner said it was stuck in 4th gear.. So I've taken out the tranny, and got another 5-speed from a junkyard with axles included..

Now I'm having trouble getting the new trans back into the car. I didn't touch the clutch while the trans was out, but its almost like we can't seem to get the shaft to line up correctly? We would turn the axles a little and try to wiggle it in there, turn them some more, and repeat.. but it just doesn't want to go. Do you guys have any suggestions, or just keep on wrestling with it?
    I'm anxious to get this thing running again!

Thanks

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed
    1991 Festiva, Red 5-Speed
    1992 Festiva, Teal 5-Speed -Sold

Its a tight fit, the tranny wants to hit the frame before the input shaft clears the clutch. How are you supporting the engine? I found if you have to drop the engine down to help clear the frame rail it helps. Its not easy to do by your self but it can be done, and yes cussing is required.
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Yes, cussing is absolutely necessary on many jobs. I find that I will always cuss just as someone is coming by, like a group of nuns or Girl Scouts, then I notice them and am embarrassed.

BTW welcome to the site. You will be coming to the Nov 7 meet at the Arch, right? (Actually it's mandatory if you live within 200 miles.)
      Last edited by TominMO; 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Actually.. I have the engine supported by chains wrapped around a 2x12 spanning from fender to fender lol. so yes, the engine will drop down some.. I oughta try to find another floor jack to hold the engine up with, that way I can raise/lower it as needed.

Doubt I'll make it to the meet, but we'll see. I work a lot on the weekends.. I'm also in an F-body club and I don't get out to nearly as many events as I would like to.

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed

Comment

you may want to get an aligning tool and make sure the clutch is in the proper place
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I thought about that too. I need to ask my buddy if he still has his from when he did a clutch swap on his old festy. Kinda figured it should still be in place though since I didn't mess with the clutch at all, and don't recall bumping it or anything.. but, who knows

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed

Comment

I priced a clutch alignment tool at advance and they are nla but they had the leftovers for 5 cents each.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

So today I pulled the tranny out again since we never got it up there all the way anyways. Turns out the pilot bearing worked its way out of the crank somehow, and was just sitting in there behind the clutch (blocking the input shaft from the trans), which is why we couldn't get it in there.. So I got a new pilot bearing for $5 (love these cheap parts), but no where had an alignment tool.. so we got one from my uncle that fit the bearing, and grinded down the grooved part so it would fit snugly through the center of the clutch disk. It worked pretty good.. Also ended up using the clutch from the junkyard since it looked to be in better condition than the one that was in it. We finally decided to take out the passenger side axle to get the trans back up in there, since we were having difficulties. This made things a whole lot easier.. Then I put the crossmember back up and called it a night. It feels really good to be able to start putting this thing back together! All I gotta do now is start buttoning things back up, and repair the o2 wire, and it should be drivable for the first time in probably 3 months :p

Cliffnotes: new pilot bearing\different clutch, transmission back in!

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed

Comment

glad to see another making it back together.
                  money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Also, if you didn't turn the old trans in for a core, you could have cut the input shaft off of the old trans to use for an alignment tool.
                    88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by shortystowing View Post
                      Also, if you didn't turn the old trans in for a core, you could have cut the input shaft off of the old trans to use for an alignment tool.
                      I didn't think of that. BUT if I ever get time for it, I'm going to try and crack open the old trans to see what is wrong with it, and try to fix it myself. So that wouldn't really be an option for me. Good thinking though

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed

Comment

most likely the shift gate inside the trans has cracked and sprung

a good welder can re-assemble it

I am the original

Comment

Update:
                          I drove it today! Just around the house at first, but it's good to know that it's finally drivable again. First time I had it running though, I pulled back onto the concrete to put some more air in the tires and mess with the idle some, I noticed there was a nice big puddle of oil underneath it. Then later, I went to show my dad how bad it was leaking, and try to locate the leak, but we couldn't find anything. We even took it up and down the driveway (about a mile) and only got a drop when we got back to check it again.. A friend suggested maybe a seal was just dry from sitting for a month or so, then after getting ran for awhile swelled back up?
                          For time being, I'm just going to keep an eye on the oil level and watch for any further leaks.. It won't be getting driven much for awhile since it's not licensed or insured. On a side note, my dash lights went out when I was taking it down the drive.. That'll go on the list of stuff to fix..

1994 Camaro Z28, 6-Speed

Comment

Stick a bottle of seal conditioner in the oil, just on general principles.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                            X