Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes brakes brakes

Hey all,

Well I am about to start my brake over haul and was just wondering if anyone has ne suggestions, i was going to try and put disc brakes on the rear, but after asking around it seems like a waste a time for my lil commuter car... i m going to look around some more on this site , maybe do the aspire conversion? (or is that not worth my time.. if this is just my lil commuter car?) if not, i will just take the brakes apart look for wear, and replace the worn parts.... i have to replace all the lines i know that for sure, i dunno what other surprises lay ahead of me, if anyone can think of something that might be helpful for me to hear before i start, i would love to hear it!

the pros on the brake swap, out weigh the cons.

you will have brakes that will try to put you through the windshield(if you don't wear your seatbelt) and you will be upgrading to the bigger rims and much better tires that are easier to find!

do the swap, since you will be replacing the hoses anyway, due to age!

do a search(on the top of the page^^^^^ toolbar^^^) on the aspire brake swap and see what everyone else thinks.

Comment

try this thread out:

Comment

Well.... i have run into all sorts off fun stuff ....

The brakes are fa%$ed , the rear drums can't be salvaged, the pads separated from the shoes and were in pieces inside of the drums, and the left rear wheel bearing seized , so it looks like i m going new... new drums, shoes, new wheel bearings.... i got it priced out its not going to be that bad, i m going to shop around a bit more... the front discs aren't bad but i will prob just take them off and replace the wheel bearings etc.

i m not going to do the front because i noticed the car was burning off oil from the engine, so i think while the car was sitting there was a small leak so it just built up and leaked on the engine, and i am burning it off, so i will do the rear brakes , get it on the road and see if the engine is good, and than i will invest some more money into the car...

ok i need an honest answer, i checked around the site and everyone talks about doing lots of stuff, and tons of people have done the asspire brake switch, but i just want to know , honestly, how easy it is, and how interchangeable everything is.... could someone who has done it tell me about some of the problems they have run into... i would do it but i don't have the time to tinker and put mix matched parts together, if its a direct bolt on, i will gladly do it.... i mean i work 6 sometimes 7 days a week, from 7 to 7, so i don't have the spare time to tinker i would love to but i don't.... thanks again everyone for your help... i will update again

Comment

it is easier to do the rear brakes with the swap , than replacing everything that you listed, just find a good u-pull-it or scrap yard and check the brakes before purchase. i got lucky on mine , someone changed them before i got them.
          all you are basically doing is taking out 8 bolts - 6 body to sub frame - 2 strut to subframe bolts( spray them down REALLY good with penetrating oil before removal) and 2 brake hoses(sub frame) to steel lines(body)(may want to replace hoses during the swap)

and whatever else you may need to replace (brake parts)

Comment

well if your brakes are totally screwed why not go with the aspire swap. It is definitely the best bang for your buck if you have to buy all new parts anyways. I am getting ready to do it to my festiva now.
            The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
            1988 LX ~sold~
            1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
            2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
            1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
            2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Working...
            X