1989 Ford Festiva Fusible Links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Ford Festiva Fusible Links?

Hello, I've been lurking these forums for a while now, I'm a big fan of festiva's myself, but not as much as u guys It seems like my car needs new fusible links, but I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, and I have no idea how to do so. Is there a step by step guide on here on how to change the fusible links?

I did a search on here, and I came across a picture of some kind of setup where they replaced the fusible links with some fuses, what are the ratings on the fuses, and how do you replace the wires with fuses?

Sorry if im clueless on these things, I wanna learn though..please help me! thanks

Grab the wire ones and pull them out and buy 2 20 amp fuses like you saw in the pic and 1 30 amp fuse and just put them in it's simple.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

The new fuses literally just push in, nothing to modify. I got mine at NAPA Auto parts in their electrical section.
      88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

To the OP, I assume you're talking about this picture?
        The pink ones are 20 amp, the green one is 30 amp. And as stated before, simply pull your links out (carefully, so as not to break the blades) and plug those in.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

omg, do i feel slow... i was wondering how that worked as well.. i still have the wire links in both my cars..

Comment

Make sure you get the long ones, not the short ones. Whenever I go junkyarding I look for the fuses, which tend to magically jump into my pocket.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              Whenever I go junkyarding I look for the fuses, which tend to magically jump into my pocket.
              Crazy how that happens, ain't it? My toolbox is full of j/y stuff I don't remember even looking at.

Comment

here i thought i was the only one...

Comment

sorry if this is a stupid question...but...how do I remove the old ones?

do i have to cut any wires out, or can I just pull on them and they just snap out?
                  Last edited by kmk3; 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Just pull them out; maybe with a needle-nose pliers to make it easier.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                      Crazy how that happens, ain't it? My toolbox is full of j/y stuff I don't remember even looking at.
                      Yep wires, screws, fuses, etc. All mystriously materialize in my pockets and my tool box. I am unable to explain the phenomenon. But its nice to see that others have had it happen to them as well.
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I am unable to explain the phenomenon. But its nice to see that others have had it happen to them as well.
                        It's the Bermuda Rectangle Theory!
                        1989 Red L- The Baron
                        www.letstalkbeatles.com
                        Link to Baron Pics:
                        http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
                        1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          Just pull them out; maybe with a needle-nose pliers to make it easier.
                          +1 Just be careful not to damage the blades when you pull the links out. Also, before you plug the new ones in, check the blades and make sure they are not in need of cleaning.

Comment

Best thing to do is hit the connectors with WD40 (it actually does this well) and find a female and borrow her finger nail file, unless you happen to carry your own.
                            Give both sides of the connector a good filing and another squirt of WD40 and you should be good to go.
                            Oh yeah, better be prepared to replace the finger nail file.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Plain old white vinegar you can find in your mother/wifes pantry does a great job of cleaning up the copper coated terminals. Just soak them for a little while then rinse with water.

Comment

Working...
                              X