engine keeps stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine keeps stalling

I have a 1989 festiva.I've replace everything ,filters,plugs,wires,distributor cap and rotor button,timing belt 2 months ago about 1000 miles.Was running great until the other day .The engine started to buck real bad then would stall. I change the fuel filter and fuel pump no help.Any suggestions please?

You may have water in the fuel system. Go and get some ISO Heat or any other so called "dry-gas" product. It's a product you put in the tank to break-up water and let it pass thru the carb, or injector. Water droplets are too big to pass thru the jets and will block the holes. In very serious cases, the tank may need complete draining. (I had to pull the tank and completely drain the gastank on an old CORVAIR I owned) Cost for "dry gas", about $2.00. Also, keeping your tank full before you "dry gas" it may help. Less chance to sucking water in the system. Water is heavier than gas and sinks like a stone! Old cars will collect water!
    Only a low cost suggestion.

"Drive On...ARMY"
    Last edited by i218127; 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

look for moisture in the distributor cap

I am the original

Comment

As a last resort remove the ignition control module (ICM) from the distributor and find an auto parts store which tests them for free. Random stalling is a symptom of a failing ICM. For more info look in http://www.ag384bn.bravehost.com/Cars.htm
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

i had two festivas that did the same thing and it was moisture in the didtributer cap and terminals on top.

Comment

Thanks for all your import.Turned out to be the distributor.Replaced....Runs great.

Comment

Working...
            X