bp motor problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bp motor problems

Ok this is questions on my bp swap car. Ok I have had problems for the whole time I have owned this car. What it has done was it would run but I would have to rev the motor very slow other wise it would act like fuel cut I was never able to figure that out. Then I was faced with another problem of this white wire coated with a ground that came from the vaf then to all the grounds and to the ecu. So messed with that went through two harnesses before I found out that if I unplugged the white wire the car would run better but not good enough to drive. So I replaced the harness again same problem so I got a hold of ketchup and I did the egt harness got it all hooked up and ready to start new fuel lines remounted the inline fuel pump. Went to start the car and it was cranking weird so I changed the starter (thought it was bad) wasn’t the problem. Then it started to back fire badly out the intake. So I asked my dad and some others what might be, was told it was out of time so I got tired of the motor and pulled it out and let it sit a day. Came back to it today and checked the timing and what we think is that it is in time not 100% sure because of having the Festiva crank pulley on it, but we think it is right. So now I am still not sure why I am having these problems but I am so as you seen I posted in the for sale and wanted forum for a good bp motor but if any one can help me save this one then I can use it other wise it’s junk to me but will keep it till I fin another one.
    So if any one can help me please try um if you would like to contact me hear is my phone#440-536-0066
    Thank you Tony

Tony, there is a small "notch" in the back of the timing belt gear, that is on the crank. It is the same for b3/b8. It is in relation to the square key in the crank. Also there is a pointer that is part of the oil pump housing. If you line those up it is t.d.c. For #1. Then just align the cam gear marks (this part is different than mine bc mine is an sohc)...hope this helps. You can see this notch i am talking about with a flashlight looking down behind the waterpump pulley and thru the timing belt.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

ahh ok will check that out in a little thanks

Comment

ok i used the mark euro said but i still don't know about the cam marks is it the line on intake mark and the exhaust? or the little dot?

Comment

ok the motor is in time maybe a tooth off not 100% sure but i am going to pulll the valve cover and find out. on the other hand if it was in time what wlse would cause it to back fire like this?

Comment

could a cam lobe be bad on it from teh privous owner being to hard on it when they were racing it?

Comment

Possibly, also make sure to check that the key on your cam gears is still there and good. If you sheared 1 of these and it moved a little it could be out of time. Also the rotor button in the dist. can be put on the shaft 3 different ways so make sure its not out. I would make sure the cams are in time.....even 1 tooth will make it run horrible.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

ok il check, how do i check the key like what do i have to do?
                also the rotor button only fits on one way. it is orginal the new fit on three diffrent ways so just took it back i didn't like how it fit.

Comment

do i have to pull the cam gears? or waht i probly know what they are just never messed with the egt motor so i don't know for sure.

Comment

Ok I Checked the....well what I think is the key ways on the cams for the gears. They are fine and the cam lobes are ok, but still I ain't finding any sings of why it is causing it to backfire there was a piece of metal laying in the top of the head but I don't know what it is and or from other wise it is looking fine unless it was internal lower in the motor.

Comment

are all of the lines on the intake capped?? Look around it may not be the timing and something else is throwing it off.. Found a similar problem on my ranger after changing the engine three times found out it was just a uncapped intake like on the bottom of the intake...
                      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

all lines are good and to right spot the motor is pulled from the car because of this. hear is the little piece of metal o found

sorry it's so crapy i used my phone
                        it is very thin and it looks like part of the side of the head but i don't know

Comment

Working...
                        X