Heater and valve questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater and valve questions.....

I did a few searches and I see these cars don't have the greatest heaters.

My first question is this- How far up the gage should the needle be on the temp. gage? The highest mine goes is maybe 1/4 and the heater never gets more than luke warm at best (30 degrees F outside temp.) Thermostat?

Second question- my car has 112 thousand miles and it sounds like a sewing machine. Can the valves be adjusted? Am I looking at a catastrophic meltdown soon? What's up with that?

The Festiva engines run cool, and never fully heat up in cold weather which accounts for the ineffective heater. The temp gauge doesn't really move much from C. If it goes over 1/2, your engine is overheating.

The valves can be adjusted. Unless they are severely out of adjustment (unlikely) there's nothing much to worry about.

Setting the valves is a relatively simple procedure, providing you have the basic tools and knowledge.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

the valves are adjustable IF its a carbed car (88-89). If its fuel injected, then no, it has hydraulic lash adjusters. If those are noisy, your looking at re-o-ringing them or replacing them (usually about $100 in parts). In either case, no its not a meltdown, just a relatively minor repair.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
        the valves are adjustable IF its a carbed car (88-89).

Oops - forgot about them danged EFI engines...

That's what happens when you have a carb'd Festiva...

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

When I had my aftermarket gauge in, a little bit off C was about 130F for water temp.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Thanks folks! Mine sounds like a sewing machine from the outside. You can't really hear them inside but outside the car- whoooowie!

If the lifters aren't going to fly off or other bad thing happen, I think I'll wait to adjust them.

I work on motorcycles a lot, so the adjustment should be a piece of cake. Now about the clearances?
            Intake?
            Exhaust?

I went to the local auto parts stores and couldn't find my favorite Haynes manual....I'm still looking.

Comment

O.K.!

Got a manual....the clearances are .012 exhaust and intake. Adjust HOT... unusual I think. Looks too easy doin' it Sunday.

Now where the heck are the zerk fittings for the front end on these things? :roll:

Comment

Working...
              X