e-brake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-brake??

ok ive looked up sum posts on adjusting and e brake but id like to see what anybody else has to say how in the heck do you adjust the e brakes on our cars?? i know it cant be that hard jus want some input thanks!!

tony

well...do you have slop in the cable? Like you can pull it a bit with no effect and then it starts to have resistance? If so....the ebrake mechanism may not be releasing all the way. There is an adjusting bolt under the handle and under the car where all the cable pieces come together it can be adjusted there.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

i can pull the handle all the way with the e brake showing very little resistance and i tried to tighten the bolt under the handle but nothing changed do i have to have the handle up all the way when i tighten it??
      Last edited by 92festie; 11-05-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

you need to open up the rear brakes...I bet the pivots are froze up and not releasing the brakes all the way.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

how might i open the rear brakes??

Comment

need to pull the tires and rear drums. You need to take the center cap off the rear and the bearings are under there....take off the spindle nut and pull the drum. In the past when I have had a stuck tough drum...I leave the tire and rim attached and pull the nut and bearings......then use the tire for leverage to work the drum off. Once open you can assess the problem and fix accordingly.
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

ok thanks bro!!

Comment

may want to look at the e-brake cable itself for a break along the rear axle

I am the original

Comment

Just a tip if it is frozen pivots. Found mine were frozen solid when I did the shoes on mine. So I had to pb blaster em because I don't have a torch. If you use pb to break em lose be patient let the pb soak in and do its job and then come back. I used two big channel locks at first to wiggle the pivot until I could do it with my hands. Also if you do this you ought to pack the bearings and replace the spindle nuts. I didn't pack the bearings (didn't have lube or packer and I know I should've gotten...) but I did go get some spindle nuts from advanced but they were the wrong pitch. So...I didn't do either because I needed to drive my beast. But I believe that that's the "proper" thing to do...unless you've done that already.
                  My Festiva: 92 1.3L, 5 speed, No options (yet), and 173,000 mi on original engine.

Comment

hhhmmm thanks guys never really had to deal with this kinda stuff

Comment

The e-brake pivots are outside behind the rear wheels. No need to open up the wheels to see if they are too rusted to pivot. However if you can't free them up by putting penetrating oil on them and hitting them then you'll have to take them off for which I do think you have to open up the rear wheels (it's been a looong time). I put each of mine in a bench vice and hit them with a hammer over several days while spraying with WD-40. I replaced the pins with same diameter bolts drilled for a cotter pin. They have been good now for several years during which I make sure they stay lubricated so they won't rust up again. Stuck brake pivots are caused by neglect.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Don't forget that the passenger side nut is left hand thread, not right. This is a common mistake and can ruin your stub axle!!!! I usually have to pull the drums, and free up the parking brake strut about every two years or so. Where are you at in WV?
                        Have owned 9 so far
                        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                        X