exhaust fumes in car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust fumes in car

i have a 88 festy and no matter what i have done i continue to get fumes in the car, ive replaced the entire exhaust- anyone else seen this???????

dumb question; are you sure its exhaust?

if you have any oil leaks, even small ones, near the exhaust manifold, it burns off and the odor enters through the ventilation intake just in front of the windshield. (Uncle Fester does this daily)
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

yeah, im pretty sure, i have completely went through the engine it is oil leak free, believe it or not, this is my 6th festy and ive had similar problems with all of them, i wonder if it is the door seals, i can here air above 60 mph, because the window frames get weak from years of use.
      thanks for the reply

Comment

well, usually the doors won't pull exhaust in. a more likely culprit is the rear hatch seal. The back of the car is under tremendous negative pressure at speed, and the tailpipe is right there. Do you smell it more strongly sitting still or at speed? if its while still, I'd suspect the doors/windows/quarter glass. if its at speed, then i'd suspect the hatch.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

try the exhaust donut gasket between the head-pipe (down-pipe) and the cat, it should be cone shaped and fits snugly on the cat side of the pipe.

and check the flex springs(at cat) for tension or if they are broken.

Comment

When I removed the exhaust from my '93GL, the downpipe where it entered the cat was broken from its welds and was slipping in and out freely. Fortunately, not all the way out!

If you hear a lot of air coming from the tops of your doors, put a short section of 2 X 4 between the open door and your B-pillar around the latch area (to keep the door slightly open) and carefully bend your top window frame in. Make sure the window's down first! I waited all last winter to do this and when I did, it was extremely easy. I fixed my "loose" upper door frame in a couple minutes. Bend it a bit at a time and you'll see how it goes. Don't overdo it.

I used to get a lot of wind noise and cold air. Now it's nice and tight. Well, as "tight" as it gets in a cheap car!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

A rotten Hatch maybe, right above the license plate is prone to rot and fumes will get in there at speed, especially if you drive with a window cracked open a bit.
              Ice Racing is Still a Black art!
              1989 B6 Twin Webber Stud racer (mine)
              1990 B3 Stock Auto racer Welded diff (daughters)
              1991 B3 Stock Rubber class racer (wifeys)
              1993 B6 mustang embarrassing road car (mine)
              1992 B3 Parts car
              Assorted 323's

Comment

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!! as soon as the weather is better ill check these these things,

Comment

Also, you may want to check the spare tire well. There are some holes in and around it that may be open. They should have big rubber grommets in them. Or, the metal may be rusted through behind the rear wheels. It goes right inside the back of the car, behind the plastic panels in the "trunk". Mine were pretty bad.
                  '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

Comment

its the fuel lines/fuel system in the back of the car behind the driver's seat! mine is doing it right now! its this black colored thing attached to some fuel lines and I dont know what to do about it.

let me know what to do guys. should I replace a part or could I just delete that black thing from the system.

joseph
                    Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
                    extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

my 91 has some rust holes in the spare wheel area

Comment

Working...
                      X