Freeze Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze Plugs

I cleaned the massive amount of crud off my engine today ( the whole engine bay looks so clean i was drooling) and once It was clean, I started searching for the exact location of my coolant leak. Its the drain plug on the front left side. I plan on replacing the 4 in the front, but I dont know how to get them out. What's the best way? Thanks.
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

punch a hole in them (not too deep) and pry them out with a punch or heavy pick or prybar.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hammer on one side with a punch and they will rotate, then you can rip them out with pliers
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

Yep, do what Stefan says. Be very careful not to knock them into the engine. It sucks to get them out.

Putting new ones in might be difficult, I'm not sure how you'd get in there a press them in squarely. I've never replaced one. Maybe just a socket that is about the same size as the bowl and tap it in. Might go in really easy.??
        Everyone I've removed I replaced with a block heater.
        Last edited by gdawgs; 11-09-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

alright, doesnt sound too hard I guess. Im going to replace all 4 on the front just to be safe because they are rusted pretty bad. Hell, you can push on them with your finger and they indent a little bit. Another question, I looked in my Haynes for the plug diameter and it doesnt have it, so would anyone happen to know what mm they are? I can just go home and measure them after school but i would like to get the measurements so I can pick them up on my way home. Thanks for the help guys.
          Tyler

Comment

any AZ or Advance should be able to look that up, but if you don't get an answer within the next 20 hrs or so, i'll pull out the factory manual and look it up for you. (i recomend you hit up eBay for one yourself, it helps greatly)

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I put the new freeze plug in but it still leaks around the edges. Then when I tried to pull spin it to pull it out it went in but luckily the antifreeze that was still in the block poured out enough to hold it in place while I franticaly looked for my magnet. Got it back out but now i gotta go get another one. Should I put any type of RTV silicon on it before I put it in?
              Tyler

Comment

I always put some #2 permatex on mine before putting them in.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I went to advanced for a new freeze plug and the guy behind the counter told me to try something different. He recommended a rubber one. You put it in flush and then tighten the nut on the outside to squash the rubber and expand it. Will this work??
                  Tyler

Comment

NO they are CRAP and only used as a temp fix. the rubber will fail and you'll be in the same spot you're in now.

besides, who would you trus more, someone behind a desk, or someone who does actual work on cars everyday for a living...? (i don't like McAutoParts advice, it's usualy wrong and misplaced).

Comment

I questioned the reliablity of the rubber. I mean, its under intense heat, its gonna break down after a while. I asked the guy if it was just a temporary fix but he said "oh no no this is a permanent fix" he probably never even changed a tire....
                      Tyler

Comment

^bingo!

Comment

Working...
                        X