Windshield Wiper issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Wiper issues

Greetings All! As this is my first post, I will introduce myself. My name is David. I am a brand new festiva owner. I purchased a 1993 festiva GL 5 spd last week for 600. The car has 135,000 miles on it and has a brand new clutch in it. I'm a pizza delivery driver so this car will see some abuse.

Now on to my problem. The windshield wipers were not functional when I purchased the vehicle. Looking through the cowl I could see that the passenger side wiper linkage was not attached to the motor. Also, when I flip the wiper switch the motor does not even turn on.

So I removed the motor and access panel behind it. Got another surprise, the driver side linkage was not attached to anything. just laying in the cowl. I also think I may be missing a piece of the linkage. All that I have are the two rods that attach to each wiper arm.

I have not been able to locate a haynes repair manual in my town yet, so any advice you all could give I would appreciate.

Welcome David and where would that town be?

Take a second to add your location to your profile this helps us help you by letting us know if anyone of our members is close to you and maybe willing to drop by and give you a hand.
    Adding Location to profile:
    Go to User CP (top of the Page in the blue bar)
    Control Panel(left side of screen)
    Edit Profile-scroll to bottom of page to location.
    Last edited by Pu241; 11-09-2009, 08:39 PM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

haha I'm in Gainesville, Fl. Go gators!

Comment

Ha ha I,m from Aotearoa NZ

those wiper blade connections look very very difficult, I went and looked then shut the bonnet (hood for you guy's)

anyway this might cheer you up : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMCA...eature=related
        "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

wellcome David!!

first off, before you start using/abusing your new purchace, change all your fluids (this includes brake fluid, coolent, oil, and trans fluid. they all go bad over time (even if not used) and your car is 17 years old) i'll bet money nothing has been touched since new.

second: forget about the Haynes manual, get the factory manual for a 90-93 festiva on eBay, it's worth whatever you pay for it.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Okay made some more progress today. Got the motor and switch working. Removed the wiper mounts from cowl and figured out how the linkage attaches. The driver side rod connects to the passenger side mount. And the passenger side linkage connects to the motor itself.

Now I just need the white plastic pieces for the end of the linkages. They are busted all around and that is why my wipers were not functioning.

Comment

So bought a generic bushing kit from local auto parts store that didnt work at all. Was supposed to be for ford/GM models. but did not work... bushings are all different sizes than I need. Has anyone else dealt with this problem and found a solution. I tried zip ties but no luck,they just broke off after a few rotations.

Comment

I took mine apart by disconnecting the arm from the motor instead of the linkage from the arm. That way you can get everything out in the open where it's easier to handle. Those plastic connectors need to be pulled straight off square with the arm, not pried at an angle. Your best bet might be to remove a junk yard set that way........ and not take them apart at all, just put them in and remount the arm to your motor.
                ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Working...
                X