won't go in 5th and revers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won't go in 5th and revers

sometimes it won't go in rev. or in 5th gear anyone know what might be the problem? I'm thinking it's the shifter, will not allow it to go to the far right

anyone help?

Change fluid lately? Might want to put some grease around the shifter linkages. Helped my 91 and 94 but they still do it. I think that reverse problem is inherit on these cars.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

It's normal for almost all cars since reverse isn't syncroed.

Just put it back into neutral. Let the clutch out. Push clutch back in. Then shift into reverse. Sometimes bumping the throttle a smidge while the clutch is out helps (double clutching).
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Sometimes I really have to ram the lever into reverse. Probably normal behaviour.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

trans fluid, or there uis a 50$ bracket that's part of the shifter that youcould check for warping, or cracks. the bracket cracked and bent on my original Fes, caused roughly the same problem until it bent far enough that I couldn't shift out of neutral. I found it when I pull things apart (guessing that a 50cent bolt might had been the problem).
          "Nothing's gonna grieve us
          When we drive Festivas
          I could go a hundred miles an hour
          Long as I got the Almighty Power
          With my plastic Jesus
          Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

You shouldn't ram it into any gear. If it's not dropping into reverse, try Dan's method, or what I do is put steady pressure on the shift lever, then very slowly let out the clutch and as the clutch plate makes first contact, it will drop right into gear. Don't go too fast or you'll grind the gears.

Comment

when i cant get it into reverse it always works to put it into 4th then reverse...have to do it almost every day
              90 L FI..second B3
              90 L Parts car
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by studdyhalllooser
                when i cant get it into reverse it always works to put it into 4th then reverse...have to do it almost every day
                I guess I do something similar, except I use first gear.

Comment

Mine did exactly that just before the internal shift forks failed...

Comment

Working...
                  X