Grrrrrrrr dang cv axles!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrrr dang cv axles!!!!!!!!!!!

Welll I finally got the CV Axles (driver and passenger side) I and the brother in law (and his grandson , Blake ) proceed to put Ol Blue on the rack and begin to replace the driver side first (1st problem, follow me close here , this is a doozy) We get it up on the jack and problem # 1 ...we unbolt the tire and have to use the trusty B.F.H (Big Frickin Hammer) to get the wheel off

So we get it off and proceed to remove the lower control arm (woosh!!! that was easy!!!!! Hey this might be a easy job to do !!! )

NOT!!!!

we get the outer wheel area out ofthe way and figure ...hey this might just slip out ...........W A Y W R O N G !!!!!!! I figured it should take 2 or 3 gorillas and maybe a bulldog or two to get this (explitive) part out

so after 15 -20 minutes of pulling, prodding , trying everything in the book (which MAYBE I SHOULDA BOUGHT!!!!) we are exasperated and put it back together and I drove it back home ....Home to where I'm thinking bout making a For Sale sign at home in the window!!!!!!!

Now I know I'm gonna get some crap out of someone about what I did wrong
    So just go for it and maybe ,just maybe if I hope above hope , someone can point out or illustrate just how the HELL to get these stupid CV axles out!!!

Well hope you guys are having a better night than me

A very P.O.ed

Joe:cwm21:
    Go Ahead and Laugh .....Mines faster,more fuel efficient, ...AND PAID FOR!!!!!

:sign3:

Some say to use a pry bar between the cv and the trans. If you are careful about it, that is a good method. Just don't mess up your seal. Also, I have heard that if you put the car in neutral, you can twist it while you are pulling and it comes out much easier as well. They are a PITA, I know, becuase I had to replace both of mine as well, and my new DD needs them now too. I hope this helps you... if not, offer the car to us before just putting a FS sign in the window...
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

just pulled mine out. the book does say to use a prybar between cv and trans. also mentions to be careful of the seal. good luck.
      Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Everytime I've done it it's been a piece of cake.. a few good tugs and they pop right out.. I've done it 2-3 times now..
        Last edited by Festiva_Fred; 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM.
        -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
        -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
        -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

mmmmm cake

Originally posted by Festiva_Fred View Post
          Everytime I've done it it's been a piece of cake.. a few good tugs and they pop right out.. I've done it 2-3 times now..
          Well fred,

I want some of that cake

we were even using a frame machine and that dang thing with 200+ lbs of pressure didnt budge!!!!!!

Joe
          Go Ahead and Laugh .....Mines faster,more fuel efficient, ...AND PAID FOR!!!!!

:sign3:

Comment

When i did mine, i pushed it in first and then yanked on them and they both came out. I guess i was just lucky.
            Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
            93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

i've had one that would't come out we even broke part of the case so we just put it back together.

Comment

heres what i did when mine was being a pain lol maybe you can do something similar?

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                  i've had one that would't come out we even broke part of the case so we just put it back together.
                  Why 'am I not surprised at this!
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I had the same problem when I swapped transmissions. The transmission I bought had axle ends with it (they were torched from the car). I ended up using 2 pry bars. Put one between the axle and the transmission and the other on the other side of the axle the same way (be sure to place them somewhere solid on the transmission). A couple of good whacks with a BFH and they should pop right out.

The trick is to get them to come out straight. If the axle is cocked to one side even a little bit, you'll have a hard time.

The funny thing is the axles on the transmission that I was removing practically fell out.

Go figure.
                    Last edited by JPT; 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Festiva joe google is your friend, i had a peek at U-Tube and this video looks pretty good, when I have done a CV they seem to come out OK with a sharp tug

enjoy watching this master : click on and be amazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDblxDpyRI
                      "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

Joe maybe you should try the other side. On my car i've had to put a screwdriver in from the pass. side and beat the axle out of the driver side. Sometimes when you break an axle there is nothing to pull on. Just make sure to look in there and do NOT hit the diff. pin.
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Won't the CV joint come apart if you pull on the end of the axle? Seems to me, last time I had the axles out, the inboard joint will pull apart if you get to rough with it (or is mine just broke?). Also have to be careful not to damage the seals, unless your planning on replacing them. I think the safest bet is a small pry bar and a sharp "rap" with a hammer.
                          I heard that some aftermarket axles have snap rings that are slightly bigger than factory and can be a real PITA to remove. When I installed the axles last time, I put some grease on the splines first. Hopefully that will help for the next time.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Brian you are correct mine just pull the inner cv apart. I guess 20 yr. old grease would help this.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

CHANGE THE OIL SEALS!!!!! DO NOT CHANCE IT!!!! the new cv's are even harder to pull back out.
                              it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Working...
                              X