88 Festy-No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Festy-No Power

We had an 88 Festiva that was bought new for my son to drive to college. Before he finished college and 180,000 miles later it gave up the ghost and found residence in the back yard. A few years ago we dug it out, rebuilt the engine and started driving it (daily). I LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR!! My problem is . . . Suddenly it doesn't have enough power to hardly pull itself. With no strain on it, it will seemingly run fine. Put it in gear and let out on the clutch and it bogs down. You can get it rolling and wind it up in the first 3 gears and it will get by. But, shift into 4th and it will lose speed. I have checked: ignition timing, cam timing, overhauled carb twice, checked the cat and even disconnected it. I have run out of ideas. If anyone has had this problem let me know. Also, has anyone disconnected the computer and run it the old fashioned way (before computers). If so, what all has to be disconnected in the way of vacuum lines and wires.

Weak spark? Also check the vacuum advance in the dizzy. Put a small hose on it and pull a small vacuum on it and with the cap off. you should see it move.

Hey you otta put your location in your sig. People will help that live by you.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Wonder if the acceleration pump on the carburator needs attention or the fuel pump is failing.
      Do you smell gas in the oil?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Wonder if the acceleration pump on the carburator needs attention or the fuel pump is failing.
        Do you smell gas in the oil?
        if he can get it through the first 3 gears, that should eleminate the accell pump. i would look into the ignition system first and check your compression!!!!

BTW, add your location in case there's someone close who can help...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have checked the vacuum spark advance and it is working. The compression was 150 on all 4 cylinders. The car will be down for awhile. In the process of checking the converter, I twisted off two of the studs on the header pipe. So, now I have the exhaust manifold off and will get the two studs drilled out. I live just south of Hernando, MS if anyone with Festiva knowledge happens to be close by.

Comment

Check the timing maybe the belt jumped a tooth..
            1991 Festiva EFI
            Papabug

Comment

Working...
            X