Horrible fuel mileage plzz help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible fuel mileage plzz help!

I just recently bought a 1990 ford festiva 1.3 fuel injected 5speed. It has 265,000 miles on it. I have recently put new plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. the only thing i have done to it is took the muffler off. My fuel gauge does not work or well it doesnt work after 3/4 tank but i notice when its starting to get low when it cuts out!:p i drive it back and forth to school during the week which is 50miles a day and i have to fill up within four days so i need to fix that. any info will help!
    thanks
    Last edited by foxracer61; 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM.

How many gallons when you fill up? Have you checked your alignment and tire pressure?
    Oscar

Comment

Is it your right foot? Maybe check your air filter.
      '90 LX

Comment

When I was your age I walked 25 miles to school, uphill both ways.
        Maybe you're going to the same school?
        I agree you should gather some information, milage and fuel each time you buy gas.
        Assuming the car isn't leaking gas (you'd smell it), you can check that the wheels are running free, tires are properly inflated, engine is tuned up. If the engine is worn out the compression will be low but you need a guage to check it.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It dont leak gas i have checked that because my buddy said his rusted out so i fig. i would check mine. It take about $25.00 to fill it up so about 9.3 gallons of fuel! how big are these tanks im guessin 10 gal. Have not checked air filter, the guy i bought it from said it was new but havnt checked it out i will tom. A guy at my school said he thought it smelled rich when he was behind me what would cause this? ???O2 sensor? i fig. that could cause some of it. i did have brake hanging up but recently fixed hat problem. I have recently got my lead foot fixed and changed it to a feather light trying to see if it improved, it helped a little not much though!

Comment

if youre O2 sensor is bad, you'll run pig rich as a precaution built into the ECU. the O2 should swing between .100 vDC and .900Vdc rather quickly, if it doesn't, then it's bad and you need to replace it with a DENSO unit, NOT the Bosch.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

.......Walkin to school ............

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              When I was your age I walked 25 miles to school, uphill both ways.
              Maybe you're going to the same school?
              I agree you should gather some information, mileage and fuel each time you buy gas.
              Assuming the car isn't leaking gas (you'd smell it), you can check that the wheels are running free, tires are properly inflated, engine is tuned up. If the engine is worn out the compression will be low but you need a guage to check it.
              And remind us older and wiser one...... That it was with 4 feet of snow and a 30 mile an hour headwind

LOL

Joe
              Go Ahead and Laugh .....Mines faster,more fuel efficient, ...AND PAID FOR!!!!!

:sign3:

Comment

changing your oil could be a good start =P

Comment

the oil looks good its still pretty clear! and i will check 02 sensor

Comment

Working...
                  X