MOOG sway bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOOG sway bar bushings

Since I have the front knuckles off for a brake job/bearing replacement, I decided to install the stiffer MOOG bushings that go into the lower control arms. I bought 2 sets as needed from O'Reilly's. One set was the blue but the other was black. They had the same part number (K9737) and felt like the exact same material. When I took the old ones out, I found the beveled holes in the control arms were full of nasty corrosion and rust. So much in fact, that I had to take my Dremel tool and grind the rust out in order to get the new harder bushings to fit all the way into the control arms. I coated everything in grease when I re-assembled. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Uh which part?
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

both sets I bought were blue.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
        Uh which part?
        Sorry, I mean the part about having to grind the rust & corrosion out to get the new bushings to fit.

I don't think the different colored bushings are a big deal, they appear to be the same material.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

let me know how they work for you, i am going to be ordering a set soon.

Comment

I dont think the grinding is going to cause any issues. As long as it isnt an obnoxious amount that youre grinding away. If its just to smooth it out you should be just fine.
            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
            - Unknown
            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

There was a large amount of material that had to be removed, but it was all rust and crap that had become impacted between the rubber bushings and the steel control arm. It was hard to grind and very messy, but once I got down to the actual control arm it was very noticeable. The dremel bit would barely scratch the hard steel of the control arm. It was amazing how hard and compacted the rust was (almost like steel), evidently from the high pressure exerted by the sway bar. Took me about 1/2 hour each side, but once I got it all cleaned up it looked like new (almost) and the new bushings fit good. I don't think the integrity of the control arm was compromised at all since the material I ground out was all foreign. Just wondering if that was typical.
              Brian

Comment

I don't think there was much rust at all on mine when I replaced my LCA's and bushings, maybe a little surface rust but thats it.
                -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

When I replaced my control arms I cleaned everything up and greased is as you did. They had been on there 20 years. I wrote it up at
                  Web hosting and free web hosting from Bravenet.com. Build your website with our easy webpage builder, web tools, web services, and free website content.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X