Tie Rod Replacement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Rod Replacement Help

Working on my 93 Festiva, replacing the passenger side inter tie rod arm. What is the best way to get the old rod to screw out of the rack. I have the Ford Service manual, and it says to remove the steering rack from the car and then place the rack in a vice with soft grips and then remove the rod. Also there is a reference to a locking pin, which I see a pin in the rack arm, but it doesn't drive all the way through, so how do you remove it OR does it need to be removed? This festiva has over 240K miles on her, and this is the first time the inter tie rod has been replaced, so it is well seized into the rack. Thanks, William.

If you have to remove the rack and it has 240K miles, I would look at just putting a complete rack in it. Either rebuilt or another used one with lower miles on it. (Just my opinion).
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

get a tierod end tool (or borrow one) and just shear the pin off, not needed for reinstall.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

How much force to use?

Should I be worried about damage to the rack if I put a lot of force into turning of the end off? Would it help to heat it?

Comment

yes there is risk of damaging the internal rack bushings

some people have drilled it enough to remove the inner tie rod

i have a very small carbide bit to use in a Dremel

I am the original

Comment

yeah, you can damage the rack if the pin is still strong. i'm seeing a 17 y/o pin not putting up too much of a fight though. first try to tap a pin drift through, then if that fails, shear it off.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I took the rack out

I ended up removing the rack from the car. I drilled out the pin and clamped it in a vice. 36" pipe wrench and out it came. (It was tight) Inspected the rack and it looks great, just cleaned it up and put a new coat of grease. Now just the work of putting it back in. No, I didn't take the steering column out of the car, doing the lift up while somebody in the car slides the gear back into the linkage.

Thanks for the ideas, William

Comment

Working...
              X