No announcement yet.

running sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It definitely was not running as bad before the tune up but it was not running as bad as it is now immediately after the tune up. Even after I pressure washed the motor it was still running well hence the theory that I might have knocked something loose and it finally worked itself completely apart after a short time. At least I had it running before but then the problem with the rpm started and it went downhill from there. It did OK up until 2000/2200 rpm then ran rough until 3500 rpm when it would run smoother and you could feel the motor surge with some power. Real sluggish up until the 3500 rpm mark. It would actually lose power. It's not too much trouble to get the timing belt cover off and check it out. More work for the weekend, Yay!

Comment

Hot Damn, Hallelujah! Found the problem. I took off the top of the timing chain cover and everything was lined up so as I started to look around I noticed that my O2 sensor wire was sheared off! I wired it back together and Voila! The Red Mouse runs again! Thanks for all the assistance guys and it is amazing how one simple wire can make a whole motor run like crap. At least it is running and I do not have to listen to my wife complain that I am using her car. Thank you all Mucho!!! Now if I can just figure out why my ignition to rotor wire keeps falling off I'll be in good shape.

Comment

having the same issue on my 91. I am having the timing belt checked. it may be stretched.

Comment

Originally posted by wards View Post
          having the same issue on my 91. I am having the timing belt checked. it may be stretched.
          Welcome, wards. It's not common for belts to stretch and they do have teeth which make it difficult for them to change position. But without knowing the whole history of your particular problem, it is difficult to make any reliable recommendation.

My suggestion is that you start a new thread where you can tell your story and it won't be muddled by association with the information in this thread which may or may not apply to you.
          John Gunn
          Coronado, CA

Improving anything
          Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Those o2 wires are very fragile. I've ruined every one. I recommend soldering in a fresh longer wire with a better clip and sensor off something else, or upgrading to a 3 wire sensor so its heated for quicker closed loop operation.
            Last edited by getnpsi; 07-17-2011, 12:45 PM.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by bbqsauce View Post
              Hot Damn, Hallelujah! Found the problem. I took off the top of the timing chain cover and everything was lined up so as I started to look around I noticed that my O2 sensor wire was sheared off! I wired it back together and Voila! The Red Mouse runs again!
              For some reason on my walk yesterday I remembered this thread and wondered: Was there no engine check light with error codes that would have pointed to the O2 sensor as the cause of the problem? The Haynes Manual says an error code of 15 indicates a problem with the O2 sensor. If the OBD system can't detect a disconnected O2 sensor, why have it?
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything
              Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
              X