Speedometer cable lubrication: two views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer cable lubrication: two views

In this thread, Darkdan and John (Pgh5spd) had two different ideas on proper cable lube:

So, graphite powder or silicone spray? Either makes sense to me, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I don't like either. Graphite powder migrates away from the surfaces that need lube, and silicone spray doesn't really hold up. I prefer to use molybdenum grease. It withstands high pressure, bonds with metal surfaces, and flows well at cold temps.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks Jim. I guess it's now time for me to get my butt home and get to work!

If you have any ideas about how to run my heater hoses, lemme know. The ones I got seem to scrinch closed where I have to bend them. Not more than about halfway, though. Would they "plump out" when the system is hot and running under pressure?

Karl

Comment

The graphite spray only lasted about 1.5k on my aspire. I put some moly grease in every connection and the speedo needle shake has went away completely. Don't waste your time with graphite or silicion.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Molly Greece it is! I just hope she's my type!

Karl

Comment

I need to do mine soon too.

I'm going to go with grease.

I was incorrect when I said silicone spray. Maybe that's what people use to lube the shifter.

I get confused.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

I'm still a graphite believer but it will be interesting to hear how moly grease works in winter. That's what I learned was the reason for not using grease or oil. I don't use spray graphite, though.

I don't know which of my posts Karl remembers, so here's my method. Disconnect the cable at the trans, get the end up where you can pull the cable completely out, and get some graphite powder - the stuff that comes in a little stiff plastic tube for lock lube. Put some in the trough between two outstretched fingers. Pull the speedo cable thru the trough and re-insert it. That's always done the job for me.

But, there's one other place to lube - the speedo hub or whatever you want to call it, where the cable plugs into the speedo. Some sort of lubrication there can make a big difference. If you still have problems after doing the cable :? , then pull the speedo enough to get some lube to it.

Comment

most molybdenum lubes have a very stable viscosity at low temperatures. I've always used moly lube on all my speedo cables, and have never had trouble, even at -22 F. The key is to not use too much. Remove the cable core, clean it well with brake clean/ carb clean, put a small amount of moly lube in a rag and run the core through the lube, wiping off any excess. I usually only have to do this once about every 100k miles.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                X