Engine dies when you give it gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine dies when you give it gas

Sorry if this is a newb/common question, but I just picked up a Festiva yesterday (don't even know what year it is...) and I wanted to know if anyone could help me.

The car starts/runs fine but dies when you step on the gas.
    I can keep it in Drive or Reverse with the brake on and it runs.
    I let my foot off and I can drive it around the block as long as I don't step on the gas and it will run/drive.

I didn't get alot of time with it yesterday, so that's all I know right now.

Thanks for any help!

**EDIT:
    Sorry, I didn't see the rules.

MAKE: (FORD)
    YEAR: (1992)
    MODEL (FESTIVA)
    DESIGNATION (BASE)
    TRANSMISSION (AUTOMATIC)

I'll get the year and accessories posted tonight. I do know it's fuel injected.

Sounds like a possible fuel pump not supplying enough fuel to accelerate just enough to idle, but I would do a manual fuel pressure test first
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I did some driving with the car last night and found that you can get it to move/drive, but it's when you let OFF the gas that the car dies.

I can work the gas & brake to keep it running, or throw it into neutral as I'm slowing down and apply the gas to keep the revs up. It's like the car 'hiccups' or something when the gas is let off?

Anyone had any similar problems? I was thinking of maybe increasing the idle speed just to see if that makes a difference... :?:

Comment

Is there a vacuum hose diagram available online?
        Wondering if it's a vacuum problem?
        Or maybe a sensor issue?

:?: :?: :?:

Comment

My car was/is doing the same thing. I had a spare fuel pump, tested it before it went in, and it was pumping fine, my car ran good for a night and now its back to the same...A new fuel pump is over $300 cdn so I'm hoping its not my pump, seeing as how Ive tried 2 different pumps, but both may be bad

Comment

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some driving with the car last night and found that you can get it to move/drive, but it's when you let OFF the gas that the car dies.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:15 pm Post subject: Engine dies when you give it gas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is a newb/common question, but I just picked up a Festiva yesterday (don't even know what year it is...) and I wanted to know if anyone could help me.

The car starts/runs fine but dies when you step on the gas.

So I'm confused. Since the car was just picked up, one could verify the basics; plugs, wires, air and fuel and pvc filters, timing, etc. Vacuum or fuel or electrical may be degraded. Start with a good baseline and define the problem.
            Regards,
            John
            There is no substitute for the right tool.

Comment

TPS?

Comment

Originally posted by gomer
                TPS?
                Throttle Position Sensor

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...