Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heater Hose Curl-I-Que Method: Yeah or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Hose Curl-I-Que Method: Yeah or Nay?

For any newbies, heater hoses are the ones from the firewall to the engine. They feed hot coolant (now there's a bit of a contradiction!) into the car's heater core to provide heat for your tushies in the winter.

I can't find anyone who stocks Festiva heater hoses. Not even Ford had them.

Mine were old looking. I wanted new ones. I had to slit them anyway to get them off the firewall pipes.

The ones that looked "shaped right" in the store weren't.

So today I just bought straight hose and began fitting the right side. That's the one to the pipe under the intake manifold. I started with about 26" and cut it and cut it until it is now about 19 inches.

It "curliques" down from the firewall pipe and drops to around the top of the oil pan and curls back up to the intake pipe. Although it slightly "ovals" a bit, nothing is squished and it looks like it will work. Think of a pig's tail. (This also follows the slight curve of the hose as it came off the spool.)

(The original hose was maybe under 10" long and it was bent to fit right.)

Those in the know, am I messing anything up by doing it this way?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I did something similar, ending up with even bigger "ovals", and haven't had any problems within the last year.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

what you did won't hurt a bit. you do, however, have two other options. you can attempt to increase the bend in the poorly fitting "correct" hoses by heating the bend with a heat gun and continuing to add to the radius. The other otion is to buy several hoses of the correct inside diamenter containing the necessary bends, and cut and splice them to the correct length and orientation using couplers from those cheapee heater/cooling system flush kits.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Ah, thanks guys. Just trying to get this baby finished to get me through the winter.

I can make improvements this spring or summer!

Yers,

Karl

Comment

Karl, check this place out:

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

:wink:
          Kevin
          '93 L (BP{T} Sold
          '90 L Plus Sold
          '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Hey! Looks like I could use some of them there things.

Thanks Kevin.

Karl

Comment

Working...
            X