shifter won't come out of first after b6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter won't come out of first after b6 swap

I finished my b6 swap, but now the shifter is stuck in (what I think is) first gear. The motor runs fine, and I can let the clutch out and the wheels start spinning, but the shifter won't come out of gear. The clutch is adjusted right, and the trans is full of fluid. Did I get something wrong? What are your experiences? Thanks-

Sean
    '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

Oh my. Does the shifter operate when the car is off? Have you gotten underneath and followed the shifter connections all the way to their destination at the MTX?

Or is it simply stuck in one place and won't move at all?

I did an ATX, not a manual, but it seems to me that it is either outside of your transaxle or inside it. If no one else who really knows about this answers, disconnect the shifter linkage again and see what moves. Whatever doesn't is obviously stuck.

Sorry I can't help much. Do you have a shop manual? That should give a progression for checking out stuff like this.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I should have clarified that it is a 4 speed trans. The shifter won't move regardless of whether the motor is running or not. I think that the shaft that comes out of the trans is lodged somehow.
      '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

Comment

Working...
      X